Chapter 21 - The Empire Strikes Back

"No, I don't have a landing permit. I'm trying to reach Lando Calrissian." Han says. The ship jostles as the ship next to them fires warning shots. "Wait a minute! Let me explain!"

"You will not deviate from your present course." The pilot orders.

"Rather touchy, aren't they?" 3PO says.

"I thought you knew this person." Leia tells Han. Chewie growls.

"That was a long time ago. I'm sure he's forgotten about that." Han replies. Cordelia rolls her eyes.

"That was all you, Han. Tell them that I'm on board. I've always been Lando's favorite." She says. 

"Hey! You are not his favorite." He tells her. She laughs.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, Han, but I'm everyone's favorite Solo." Cordelia says. He glances at Chewie, then 3PO, then Leia.

"Do you really want our answers?" Leia asks. 

"Permission granted to land on Platform 3-2-7." The pilot informs them. 

"Thank you." Han says, turning his glare from the others to the controls. "Nothing to worry about. We go way back, Lando and me." He mumbles.

"Who's worried?" Leia asks. 

Once Han lands the ship, Cordelia leads the others down the ramp, frowning when she notices the platform is empty.

"Oh. No one to meet us." 3PO says.

"I don't like this." Leia adds.

"Well, what would you like?" Han asks.

"They did let us land." 3PO tells him.

"Look, don't worry. Everything's going to be fine. Trust me." He assures Leia. Cordelia nods.

"Yeah. I trust Lando, he's a good friend." She adds. They turn as the doors open. "See!" She says, spotting Lando. She walks past the others and meets Lando, throwing her arms around him.

"Hey, Kiddo." He says, hugging her back. He pulls away and spots Han. "Watch this." He tells her quietly as they approach the others. "Why, you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler. You've got a lot of guts coming here after what you pulled." He says. Han points to himself and Lando moves closer. He fakes a hit towards him before pulling Han into a hug as he laughs. "How you doin', you old pirate? So good to see you!"

"Lando, I've got a quick question for you." Cordelia interrupts. He raises a brow at her, and she smiles. "Which one of us is your favorite Solo?" Han groans and Lando laughs, wrapping his arm around Cordelia's shoulders.

"Do you even have to ask that? Of course it's you, Kiddo." He replies. She laughs and turns to Han with a smug smile.

"Told you." She says. He rolls his eyes, and she sticks her tongue out at him.

"What are you two doing here?" Lando asks.

"Ah, repairs. I thought you could help me out." Han answers.

"What have you done to my ship?" He asks, turning serious.

"Your ship? Hey, remember, you lost her to me fair and square." He replies.

"And how you doin', Chewbacca?" He asks over Han's shoulder. Chewie growls a reply as he approaches. "Still hanging around with this loser?" He growls again, and Lando spots Leia.He drops his arm from Cordelia's shoulders and approaches Leia. "Hello. What have we here? Welcome. I'm Lando Calrissian. I'm the administrator of this facility. And who might you be?"

"Leia." She tells him. He grabs her hand and kisses the back of it.

"Welcome, Leia." He says. Cordelia watches Han as he eyes Lando, trying not to laugh at his obvious jealousy.

"All right, all right, you old smoothie." Han says, taking Leia's hand and walking her past Lando.

"Hello, sir. I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relation. My facilities are at your-" 3PO says, but Lando wraps his arm around Cordelia's shoulder again, leaning close to whisper.

"What's going on with them?" He asks. Cordelia rolls her eyes.

"Honestly, I have no idea. They've got feelings for each other but are too stubborn to do anything meaningful about it. I think they're together?" She tells him.

"Ah, got it." He says. He straightens and calls out to Han as he speeds up, so they walk next to him. "What's wrong with the Falcon?"

"Hyperdrive." He replies.

"I'll get my people to work on her." He tells him. "You know that ship saved my life quite a few times. She's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy." He explains as they enter the building.

"How's the gas mine? Still paying off for you?" Han asks.

"Oh, not as well as I'd like. We're a small outpost and not very self-sufficient. I've had supply problems of every kind. I've had labor difficulties." He explains. Han laughs. "What's so funny?"

"You. Listen to you. You sound like a businessman, a responsible leader. Who'd have thought that, huh?" He says. Cordelia rolls her eyes.

"If a certain other brother of mine would grow up, I'm sure he could do great things like this too." She says.

"Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful." Lando says, making Cordelia laugh.

***

Cordelia startles awake as Chewie growls. She sits up from her spot on the couch across from Leia and Han. He sets down a container full of 3PO's parts and she gasps.

"What happened?" Leia asks. Chewie growls.

"Where?" Han asks. Chewie growls again. "You found him in a junk pile?"

"Oh, that's terrible." Cordelia says. 

"Chewie, you think you can repair him?" Leia asks. He shrugs and growls.

"Lando's got people that can fix him." Han tells her.

"No, thanks." She says.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting anything?" Lando asks, entering the room.

"Not really." Leia says. Lando looks her over.

"You look absolutely beautiful. You truly belong here with us among the clouds." He tells her. Cordelia glares at him until he subtly winks at her. She grins, understanding he's trying to get Han to step up.

"Thank you." She replies.

"Would you join me for a little refreshment?" He asks. Chewie growls. "Everyone's invited, of course." He takes Leia's hand and Han quickly steps in, holding his arm out to her. "Having trouble with your droid?" He asks.

"No. No problem. Why?" Han replies, leading Leia away. Chewie approaches Cordelia, holding his arm out for her. She smiles at him and takes it, following Han and Leia.

Okay so I know Cordelia and Lando's relationship seems a little out of nowhere, but I had a scene of them in Solo bonding but took it out because I felt like it didn't fit lmao. Basically though, he caught her trying on his capes and they had a cute little heart-to-heart and he gave her one of them. He's another brother to her and like Han, has a nickname for her (Kiddo).