Chapter One

The nights are always busiest before a weekend. Groups of friends roam to the bars or clubs to have a good time on this clear night. The sun had set hours ago, letting the city light up in blue, white, purple, pink, green, red, and so on. Many office workers head home now, adding to the already crowded streets of young and old. We turn our sights towards a man who is ready to go home.

Kuniharu Saiki, a manga editor for the publishing company called Shuensha (do not mistake it for Shuesha, they get that problem constantly) leaves the building; he stretches, "Ah! Finally done with another day of shoe-licking! Now time to go home and see my lovely wife and eat her home-cooked meal!" He says as he daydreams about his precious Kurumi waiting for him at home. He can imagine her smiling face as she greets him at the door; the smile that feels like a warm hug; the smile of his soul mate. All the prettiest models in the world couldn't compare to his darling wife, whom he loves with all his being. Kuniharu is so deep in his fantasies that a passerby cries, "Hey, Mister, watch out!" Kuniharu turns to them with a "Huh?" before noticing the incoming car. He cowers in fear as he thinks, 'Save me, oh great Kusuo!'—a scream, a crash, and then silence. Kuniharu sighs with relief. "Thank you, oh great Kusuo; I will reward you with all the coffee jellies in the wo-wait; you're not Kusuo," he says. 

The strange girl takes her hand from the van's now wrecked front and turns to him. "Eh? Kusuo?" she questions, as she's heard that name before. For a moment, Kuniharu notices the girl's main features, like her hair color and skin. The girl sees someone taking out their phone and quickly leaves the scene, disappearing into the night and baffling everyone. Kuniharu watches his savior dash away before he can even thank her. He is surprised that someone other than his son rescued him. Speaking of, he looks at the vehicle the girl had stopped. It was a red van that was taller than a basketball player. He was amazed to see a handprint perfectly embedded into the hood of the van. The handprint is surrounded by the crushed remains of the front of the truck, with its windows smashed, metal bent, and crunched together like a piece of paper. This sight stuns him for words. Is there another psychic running around as strong as his son?

Saiki stands on top of a building and has seen everything. His neutral expression does not give away his thoughts. 'Well, I was going to save my dad, but she got to it first. Good grief, another psychic is running around.' After waiting three minutes, he teleports back to his room and sits down on his chair, sighing. 'Hopefully, she doesn't become another nuisance in my life.'

After the weekend, at PK Academy, the morning goes as usual. Kaido comes up to Saiki's desk. "Saiki, there's a dark presence coming from the abandoned building near the generic district! Let's go and investigate after school. I suspect Dark Reunion is at work!" 'Why would I want to go to some dusty, broken-down building to fulfill your outlandish fantasies?' Then Nendou approaches. "Hey, buddy! Wanna grab some ramen after school?" "We do that every day. Give it a rest already; don't you have another favorite food?' Yumehara longingly stares at Kaido from her desk. "Oh, Kaido, maybe in this fanfiction, we'll finally be able to get together." 'Don't get your hopes up. When has that ever happened before?' A white glow floods the room as the perfect pretty girl Teruhashi enters the room. Her long blue hair flows behind her like a cerulean waterfall; a collective "OH WOW, IT'S TERUHASHI!" from most of the class. Teruhashi smiles like an angel and thinks, "What a way to start my day. I counted 147 'oh wows' since I left my house. Now I need Saiki to give in and say, 'Oh wow,' finally!" "I understand why you and Yumehara are friends now. Your personalities are nearly identical, minus the beautiful girl part.' A cha-ching sound signals the arrival of Saiko. "Out of my way, filthy scrubs; this coat costs more than your lives." 'Then don't wear it to school if you're worried about messing it up.' As Saiko goes to his seat, Hairo takes it upon himself to energetically greet everyone before going up to Saiki, "Hey, Saiki! It's a beautiful day to practice tennis before class starts!" 'There are 10 minutes before class starts; how much tennis do you think we can get in?' Kuboyasu walks in, covered in blood. "Ah! What happened to you, Kuboyasu!? Why are you covered in blood!?" a student exclaims in fear and shock; Kuboyasu replies, "Oh, this? Well, I just ran into old friends on my way here." "It looks like you did more than run into them." Saiki thought to himself. Aiura throws herself onto Saiki to fluster him. "Hey, Saiki~ I missed you since yesterday.~" "You're heavy; get off of me." Saiki responds telepathically. Aiura gasps and acts dramatically. "I should be offended by your words, but somehow I just can't help but still love you."

Finally, Mera arrives cheerfully with a new bento box in hand; Yumehara greets her first, "Hey, Mera! You're looking pretty cheerful today. Did something happen? Are you in a relationship?" Mera shakes her head. "Nope; actually, I was on my way here."

~Flashback Start~

Mera is walking to school with a miserable look on her face. "Oh man, my paycheck isn't coming in time, so I don't have enough money for a school bento today. Guess it's day three of no food." Unbeknownst to her, someone was listening to her troubles. "Oi, Mera." (Y/N) calls from behind, to which Mera turns around. "Uh, you're talking to me?" (Y/N) nods and pulls out a bento wrapped in a (Favorite/Color) fabric. "Here, have my bento." Mera becomes flustered by the sudden offer and immediately refuses. "Oh no! I can't take your lunch from you! I can go another day without lunch; it's no big deal!" She's lying because drool is dripping down her face, and she's looking at the bento with hunger in her eyes. (Y/N) insists by putting the bento in Mera's hands. "My mom packed too much for me, and I don't think I can eat it all. I have enough money for the school lunch, so take it." Mera looked at the bento box in her hands, her eyes filling with tears. Kindness on this level has rarely ever graced Mera's life. What a miracle this day has been! She jumps on (Y/N) and hugs her tightly. "Thank you so much! You don't know how much this means to me! I'm in your debt!" Now (Y/N) becomes flustered by Mera's mood shift. "H-hey! You don't have to get all mushy! And I'm just doing what's right, and you don't need to pay me back for anything!" Mera pulls back and looks at the other with tears streaming down her face. "Then let's at least walk to school together! I want to be your friend!" (Y/N) looks away, still quite flustered. "Fine, let's walk to school."

~Flashback End~

Mera continues her story, "So we walked to school together and talked. Her name is (Full Name), and she's in class four! She's brilliant and even helped me with some of my homework! I kept trying to do stuff for her, but she didn't want anything in return." Mera looks down at the bento fondly. "Even though it's a small gesture, it brightened my day." Yumehara looks delighted. "Wow, that's amazing, Mera! You'll have to introduce us later; I want to meet her. And I bet Kokomi would like her too." Mera nodded. "Yeah! Definitely!"

Saiki, having obviously listened in on their conversation, thought, "Hm, she might not be trouble. Oh well, so long as she doesn't inconvenience me, I can ignore her."

Classes started, and the day went on as usual.