Aphrodite's Curse

The light wraps you

The light wraps you in its mortal flame. 
Abstracted pale mourner, standing that way 
against the old propellers of the twighlight
that revolves around you. 

Speechless, my friend,  
alone in the loneliness of this hour of the dead 
and filled with the lives of fire, 
pure heir of the ruined day. 

A bough of fruit falls from the sun on your dark garment.
The great roots of night 
grow suddenly from your soul, 
and the things that hide in you come out again 
so that a blue and palled people
your newly born, takes nourishment. 

Oh magnificent and fecund and magnetic slave 
of the circle that moves in turn through black and gold: 
rise, lead and possess a creation 
so rich in life that its flowers perish 
and it is full of sadness. 

Berenice sat near her father.

A veil covered her face. Though that did nothing to hide the diversity of emotions everyone present in the hall radiated.

She could see the confident smirks the princes sent her way, their lips stretched to give view of a predator's teeth and Berenice internally shuddered. Hate hate hate.

(She had dreamed of love.

Her father had called love just another name for tragedy.)

She envied those who found lovers and friends. Despite the tales that ended with a note of sadness and heartbreak, she found herself not caring.

Gods she wished she was blessed with the feeling of love. Hate hate hate.

The princess never knew what it was like to do something reckless and not think twice about it. She never behaved on impulse. She could not, that was what they taught her.

One day, she would be the bridge between two kingdoms. (That day of decision was today.)

Not a hair out of place, not a word till the end- That bridge would be burned soon if she did anything others did not approve of.

(She had dreamed of love.

Her father had called love just another name for tragedy.)

Hate hate hate.

Was it healthy for her to harbor so many negative emotions? It was not, she knew it. Could she change the way things were? Gods she wished she could.

The servants talked. Amilia --she remembered her name --she had whispered in the darkness how she pitied the princess. She also said how life only gets more difficult, with less freedom when the girl leaves to live with the stranger.

Berenice barely contained a sob. Her hands that shook, fisted the air, oh if she was a child of a god, she could simply fly away.

Deep breathes, she told herself.

Hate hate hate.

She had prayed too many times to count, yet she was stuck in place that made her cry.

Gods have mercy.

She had to choose the best stranger to find a new home with. What kind of choice was that?

"King Ariston and Crown Prince Kallikrates of Ariston!"

She did not look up this time. Instead, she took note of her father's reaction. He perked up just a little when the announcement also included the words 'Crown Prince'.