FORTY FOUR

FORTY FOUR

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, ATTEMPTED SUICIDE, ATTEMPTED MURDER AND PANIC ATTACKS

"Lis!"

Larissa Cohen shot her head up from the ground at the sound of her best friends voice rapidly approaching the area where she was, which was outside the trailer of a certain Australian driving for Red Bull.

Zahra Bailey barrelled in to her best friend and hugged at the Brazilian tightly since the Cohen girl had left her own celebrations, since she had won her very first race in Formula One at Monza.

"Hey, Z. I just needed to get out of there."

Larissa smiled sadly at her best friend, as she saw the look of understanding that she was being given by the Bailey woman.

There had been every single driver at the party as well as all of her team and mechanics, and she just couldn't find it within herself to stay there and be happy.

It was still her father's death anniversary, and it was still her birthday.

"Hey, I know, okay. I get it completely." Zahra smiled sadly at her best friend, as she held on to her shoulders. "It's why I came to find you. I didn't want you to be by yourself today."

"I can't bring myself to party and celebrate knowing that my dad should have been with me, Z." Larissa's eyes began to fill with tears as her bottom lip trembled.

"Lis, he is with you." Zahra soothed as she let her best friend rest her head against her chest, with her arms wrapping around the Brazilian in comfort. "He is always with you."

"It doesn't feel like it."

"I know it doesn't, but he is with you every single second of every single day." Zahra slowly used one of her hands to run her fingers through the dark hair of her best friend. "And he is so proud of you."

"Where were you?" Larissa's voice cracked as she clutched desperately at her best friend, needing the comfort since her chest felt so empty and numb. "Where were you, Z?"

Zahra felt her throat closing up as the words left her best friends lips and forced herself to blink away the tears that were threatening to leak as they formed in her tear ducts.

"I-I uh..." Zahra stuttered before she figured that it would just be much better to tell her best friend the truth.

"I went looking for the trophies that were taken for your house in São Paulo. Pierre and I think that we know where they are." Zahra admitted with a deep sigh as she felt her best friend lifting her head up to stare at her.

"What? Where? Why? How?"

"Esteban spotted your mother with a large bag that seemed to be full with something heavy because she couldn't lift it. Pierre and I tracked it down to a storage unit, we just need to find a way to get inside without damaging the lock in case she knows that people are on to her."

Zahra took a deep breath of oxygen in as she finished explaining where she had been when her best friend had attempted to take her own life, but it didn't make her feel any better.

Because she still wasn't there for her best friend when she was struggling.

She should have been there, she should have been supporting her best friend but instead she was on a stupid treasure hunt.

Her best friend could have died.

And it would have been her fault.

"Where is it? The storage unit." Larissa noticed the pained look on the face of her best friend and used her hands to squeeze the hands of her best friend.