Chapter 23

New York City, New York

The Spire

Floor 92, Spectre Floor

December 9, 227 P.F.E

0600 hours

Leo fell asleep on Sophia's shoulder. Sophia didn't want to go back to her room after the kiss because she knew she wouldn't be able to get to sleep and Leo didn't want her to go. He fell asleep halfway through an episode of a sitcom while Sophia laughed at the jokes. He'speaceful, and she doesn't think he has any dreams. Those he does must be happy because he manages to sleep soundly.
Sophia pets his hair some over the night, sometimes leaning down and kissing his head. Every stroke she makes reveals the empty slot on her bracelet where a charm used to sit. At one point the bracelet hits something metallic around Leo's neck.
Sophia holds her breath and inchesLeo's collar from his neck. There's a chain there. Sophia tugs at the chain experimentally and it's taut from the weight. She edges the chain away until she finds the heavy object that's weighing it down; a pocket watch. She thought she had felt something when she rested her head on his chest, she just didn't know what. She pops the cover from the face of the watch and gasps. She recognizes it as a symbol, one that she'd expected to find, but had also been hoping for her whole life.