8.

Arthit knew the people had begun talking. By people, he meant his co-workers. Everyone had begun to realise that something was off between Kongpob and him. He noticed the hushed whispers as they walked into the office, the questioning stares at them, and all of it made Arthit very uncomfortable. And to make matters worse, he knew Kongpob had a meeting with one of his oldest "friends" that day. Prae.

She was the one who made Arthit's stomach turn, she was the one who made Arthit feel the most insecure. Arthit knew Kongpob actually cared for her. They had known each other since high school.

If Kongpob would love anyone, it would be her. Arthit was sure of it.

Arthit didn't know if Kongpob had ever slept with her, but he suspected he had. And it burned Arthit because Kongpob never cared for the people he slept with, except Prae, that is.

Prae now ran her own business and her company had tie ups with Kongpob's. That meant Kongpob and Prae met each other quite often. Arthit hated it, but all he could do was stare at them in jealousy as they bent their heads over some new business plan or proposal.

Arthit winced every time she touched Kongpob. He didn't know why his throat burned every time she was around, why he wanted to scream and cry every time she even breathed near Kongpob. But Arthit knew, if he could choose one person to direct all his hatred towards, it would be Prae.

Now, she wasn't a bad person. She was kind and nice which made Arthit hate her more. She wasn't someone you could hate. She seemed to exist just to burn Arthit and show him exactly why he would never have a chance with Kongpob.

She had been away for the past year, working in the States, and Arthit had been so fucking happy. But she was back now, much to Arthit's annoyance.

Arthit was making Kongpob's coffee when he heard her voice. That same polite sound he had heard countless times before. And just like that Arthit's personal hell had arrived.

***************************

"KONG!!!" Prae squealed excitedly as she ran in to hug him. Kongpob hugged her back. He had missed her.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Arthit slipping inside the room with his coffee and Prae's cold drink.

"How have you been??" Prae asked as she pulled away and looked into his eyes. He patted her head and smiled.

"I am good-how are you?"

"I am great! I have so much to tell you - You won't believe everything that's happened!!"

Prae stopped as she spotted Arthit. She smiled at him warmly.

"Arthit! How are you?? Goodness, how are you still working for this grouch?? Kongpob really hit gold with you."

Arthit smiled politely. It was one of those smiles that Kongpob knew weren't real.

"I am good, ma'am. I'll be right outside- if you need anything, just call for me." Arthit said, and then he went outside, leaving Kongpob and Prae alone in the room.

"So spill- what happened?" Kongpob asked her.

Prae sat down on the couch as she opened her cold drink can.

"I'm getting engaged!!!!" She half screamed.

Kongpob nearly dropped his coffee.

"YOU WHAT???"

Prae giggled at his stupefied expression.

"I met her in the States. She's Spanish and so so amazing! Her name is Sofia. Wait I'll show you pictures." Prae pulled out some polaroids from her bag as Kongpob sat down next to her. Then she excitedly showed him some pictures on her phone.