Chapter one: The Return

I sat next to the fire reading with Joffrey whilst listening to Jacaerys, my older brother, practice high Valyrian. I say practice but he's rather butchering it.

Mother comes in and helps him. She's sees me and Joffrey and smiles. She's about four months pregnant now. And with all my heart, I believe it's a girl. I need it to be a girl. Baela and Rhaena, my cousins until Ser Deamon married mother, became my sisters. I love them but I need another. Baela, is with our grandmother all the time in driftmark, to help oversee things since our grand sire is ill and hasn't been back since my fathers death, his son.

My father was killed by his lover. I guess out of jealousy. He didn't like the way my father talked down to him. So he killed him and burned his body in the fireplace. At least that's what some people believe.

Rumor is that mother had him killed so she could marry her uncle, who had just lost second wife. But I don't believe that. Mother loved my father. They cared for each other despite their different tastes in bed mates.

Mother is happier though. I don't know if it's because we moved away from the drama that's in Kings landing, or if it's because she married someone she liked since she was young. But I don't really care. To see the stress lift from her eyes and face and see her genuinely happy makes me happy.

"Perhaps that's enough for this morning." Mother suggested to Jacaerys.

"No. No. I want to keep going." And he continued. Mother and I shared a look. He's stubborn and determined. Mother says he gets it from her.

"Aegon ordered... that the... tree should be... killed." He let out a happy sigh, thinking he got it.

"Felled." Mother corrected. "It is a related word." Jacaerys dropped his head in disappointment. "I don't expect you to learn high Valyrian in a day, Jace."

"A king should honor the tradition of his forbearers." Jacaerys explained.

"Well... unless your planning to depose your own mother, you have plenty of time to study."

I believe my brother is trying to prove he is a Targaryen through and through. And not a bastard that people claim we are.

The door opens to the throne room and Ser deamon, father now, appears. And not so happy. Mother senses it and orders us to leave.

"Joffrey. Visenya. Come." Jacaerys orders calmly. We gather our things and leave mother and father to their conversation.

"Jace." I call out to my brother once we've left the room. He turns to me in response. "You're doing well." I try to encourage him. "High Valyrian won't come overnight. It's like training to wield a sword. You have to train. And over time you'll master it."

"I know. Thank you sister. I just..." he sighed.

"Want to prove yourself?" He nodded. "You're already doing that. People watch us. And I know they've seen how you study and train. You'll make an excellent king one day." He smiled at me and thanked me. "Come. We should train." I took his hand and ran down the hall to wield our swords.

🐉🐉🐉🐉🐉🐉🐉

We landed in Kings landing the next day. Mother says it urgent. I insisted on riding dragon back. The sea doesn't set well with me nor my brother Lucerys. Thankfully, mother let us ride on dragon back, but she told me only one dragon. I didn't understand why, but I didn't argue.

I was not looking forward to this trip. But it was business. And we all had to be there. Although, I was excited to see Heleana and grand sire. I know grand sire has gotten worse, but I still wish to see him. I admired him when I was young. And Heleana has three children now. Two boys and a girl. I wonder if she'll be happy to see me.