Chapter Ten: War

I awaited Aemond's return anxiously. What was supposed to be a days journey, I supposed turned into two. I've been pacing a lot since he didn't return last night. Also because I've been trying to figure out how to tell him. Although, I'm not sure why I am so nervous to tell him. I should be delighted, as he will be, no doubt, when I tell him.

Flashback

As I sat in the garden, imagining how to end Lary's life, the sound of small laughter reached my ears. My dark thoughts instantly disappeared as I looked for the little prince and princess of Helaena Targaryen.

They chased each other through the floors and trees, full of energy and happiness. And innocence. I became jealous.

I remember my youth, and how I've always had to make sure to defend my brothers and pretend that Leanor was my true father, and not Harwin Strong. I felt as if I had the 7 kingdoms upon my shoulders. I promised myself I would never put my future children in a place, such as I have been.

"Might we join you, your grace?" Helaena asked softly behind me.

I smiled about her arrival. I do not know if she sided with the greens, but I miss her company. And I could use a distraction from my dark and loony thoughts.

"You need not need to be so formal with me in private, Helaena. I see you as my friend." I looked up at her. "Unless you do not."

"Of course, Visenya." She gracefully sat besides me and we watched the children to continue to run and tackle each other.

"They're cute." I laughed as Jaehaera pounced on her brother to tickle him.

"They're rascals is what they are." She scoffed.

I laughed at her comeback and nodded my head. "Most kids are."

"How are you fairing?" She asked.

I began to think of the things I've heard recently, what happened between Aemond and I before he left... and my family. And only one word came to mind. "I'm angry, Helaena."

There was silence between us for a moment. Then she took my hand and slightly squeezed it. "I want you to know, I am on your side. My sister was named heir. Successor." I looked at her in surprise. Is she on black's side? "Father never changed it. And he had plenty enough time to do it." She let out a deep sigh, almost like a sigh of relief. Perhaps she's finally speaking her mind. "And as much as I am happy it is you instead of my husband..." she looked at me and smiled. I knew what she was trying to say.

I squeezed her hand back and returned the smile. "It was always my mother and brothers throne. Never mine. They can have it. And I'm glad, my aunt, my friend, the dreamer, is on my side."

"Oh, finally!" She exclaimed. "Someone who listened."

I laughed. "Why did you never tell anyone?"

She shrugged. "They wouldn't have believed me. They already believed I was crazy. Think of what would happen if I told them that."

I hummed in agreement. "Do see things happen, or...?"

"It's... it's not always clear." She began to explain. "Most of the time, the words just repeat in my head until it happens."