97' • we keep this love in a photograph

"i have something for you."

the day was getting far too late, with the sun finally casting a long shadow on the ground as the sky was already ablazed with the fire of the setting sun. i was too mesmerised by the beauty of the sunset to even notice the sound of clicking cameras beside me.

Kai grinned to himself, glueing his eyes onto the screen of his mini camera. a picture of me being fully distracted was displayed, bringing an absolute awe to his poor heart. gushing, he immediately showed the product of his catch to me.

"look," and i did. "you look so beautiful."

i raised my eyebrow in confusion, trying to convince myself that i actually do look pretty in the picture recently taken. but i failed. all i see was a messy-banged unstable girl with some drenched tears on her cheeks instead. 

"notice that the look is present and not, 'looked'? because you're always seems so beautiful in my eyes." he spoke, and that tickled my stomach for some reason, making me chuckled at his so called seriousness.

"what a cheesy pick up line."

"it's not a pick up line!" he argued. "it's an expression of a true and pure feelings of mine. you should be more appreciative, princess." he said. i lazily nodded at his response, pretending it was still lame although it did cause me a slight heart attack. for God's sake. what is happening to me?

"let's take a picture together." he muttered, lifting up my arm as a sign to stand up. Kai then made his way to the back of an old store, located right beside one of the rides on the park. he came back with a camera stand, preparing himself for our not so grant photoshoot. i scoffed in response.

"you really prepared yourself, don't you?" i jokes, inviting an amusing laugh from him.

"of course. i've been waiting for this day since forever." he replied, stomping his feet towards my direction. standing beside me, he then ushered me to gave the camera a big, happy smile.

"3,2,1, smile!"

"3,2,1, smile!" 

i remembered standing beside a young boy, he's about an inch taller than my own height. he had a really bright smile plastering over his face, eyes shimmering brightly in his hazel brown lens. none of his actions were similar to mine, i just stood there nothing but a frown on my dull face. i looked unhappy. i remembered, looking unhappy.

not until him suddenly bending down, slightly tucking my long strand of bangs behind my ear. his pretty eyes were locked to mine, and i could have sworn i found a whole different universe in them. if this universe were already pretty enough for me, i bet the universe he was holding in his eyes was far more admirable. for a second, i felt like drowning myself in his luminescent, hazel eyes, letting myself in daze in the moment.

he tugged a smile, slightly whispering to  my ear.

"smile, you'll look prettier. senyuman kamu cantik. kamu, cantik.'

and trust me, i did not know how those words, those simple words eventually brought a small smile to my face.  the first ever smile i've carved in awhile. i was overwhelmed,  a glimpse of happiness entering my heart. my belly was  full of glittering monarchs and swallowtails alighting. it was an euphoric sensation. mixed feeling, but with happiness outgrowing everything.

"there, Sophia. my pretty little Sophia." he murmured.

and as the camera slowly ticking, i took my time to glance at his winsome smile. still admiring how gorgeous he was, and in the back of my mind, i silently hoped i could stare at his face for the rest of my life. forever.

CLICK!

the photograph was taken, and a piece of polaroid came out from the camera.

it was beautifully taken, i believed.

but before we could even hold it, it flew away.

"RUN!"

and in a split second, everything changed. the sky was no longer golden, it turned into a terrifying pitch black filled with gravel-grey smoke. the air  that was warm before turned hotter, and a lethal, ineffectual blaze started to rage in the middle of the funfair. muffled scream erupting the atmosphere, echoing from time to time. children running for their lives, parents crying in search for their kids in the old  funfair. Mary-Go-Round , the Ferris Wheel, every rides were burnt, destroyed by the menacing flames of the fire.

i gasped, looking at the fire with wide eyes. yet, i could not talk. nor i can move.

until i felt Kai leaving my side, running into the fire. i shook my head, running to him as i pulled his arm to me. he looked over, stopping his action.

"what are you doing? are you crazy?" i asked, more to screaming at him. i did not know why i shouted. probably because i care. probably because i was scared i would lose him.

and probably because i love Kai. more than what childhood best friends should.

Kai went completely silent, unsure what to respond. and that made me sick in the stomach. i was nervous, afraid of whatever things that will come out from that red lips of his. what if the next words were not what i expected? what if the decision he was going to make soon was going to change everything? what if things won't turn out as what they're supposed to be later?

"Sophia," he called, and my breath hitched.

"di kehidupan selanjutnya, jika semesta cukup baik untuk menyatukan kita berdua di suatu cerita lain, di buku yang berbeda, semoga aku dipertemukan lagi dengan gadis seperti kamu. semanis kamu, secantik kamu. cuma kamu, Sophia. nggak ada yang lain."

i stared at him, teary eyes, shaking my head vigrously at his unknowing words. at times like this, understanding those will be the last thing i'll care about, as i knew it will only pained me more than i am right now. i knew those were farewells, i could feel the sense of leaving in his tone. i felt it, right into my heart and my bone, i knew that every inch of him will disssapear within my sight in just seconds away.

"no. Kai."

he smiled bitterly, ever so gently letting go of my grasp on his arm. he held my cold hands, sending warmth to them for comfort. his last comfort, probably the very last comfort i've ever recieved from anyone. i could feel his hands were trembling as he held them close to his chest, closing his eyes before opening them to look at me again.

this time, there was no spark in his eyes. no tiny glitters, his hazel eyes were painfully dull and hurt. i hated that i could read them, i hated that i understood why they were empty. i felt all his emotions at once, as if he was transferring every bit of feelings that he had to my heart. sharing them. drown in them.

"i'll come back." he said. and with that, off he go, dissapeared within the blazing fire.

Kai promised to come back, did he?

he lied.

he never did.