Just The Start of Disaster

It was the first dinner. The reminder of how good of a cook Susannah was, and when we all caught up.  Steven wouldn't get off of his phone, showing Jeremiah something for the fourth time since we'd sat down. 

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." My mom said sternly, Steven made an ugly face. 

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces." Susannah began, "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days." When Jeremiah's mom butt in Jere knew it was time for the phone to go. 

"Steven," Jeremiah said, because Steven was still on his phone, Jere grabbed his phone and threw it right at me, luckily I caught it and threw it at a pile of blankets on a chair. We laughed. Jere jumped up and flexed, and me doing the same. 

"Okay, okay, we get it you guys have been working out," Steven complained.  I rolled my eyes, still laughing. I only did weight training with the volleyball team, I definitely didn't go out of my way. 

"Oh your just jealous me and Jere have better bodies than you," I said. Jeremiah reaches over the table to give me a high five before we both sit back down. 

"Uh, no, actually it's all about the lean look now. Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits." Look at this smart-ass. 

"Sure, sure," Jeremiah replied, before shoving more food down his throat. 

Conrad made his first comment this whole dinner, "Tailored suits." He chuckled lightly. 

Steven then asked Conrad, "When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Conrad's smile got deleted from his face and he froze. He quit!?! I never would have thought. Well, he did usually do it for his dad, and after what Conrad found out about what he did, they weren't even on talking terms. 

"Uh, he quit football," Jeremiah said answering for Conrad. Conrad confirms it, nodding his head. 

"Wait, really? You quit?" Steven asked, already knowing the answer. Conrad nodded his head again. "Are you kidding me, man? I-I'd kill to play college ball." 

Susannah butted in, "He can always change his mind." But I knew he wouldn't. Conrad has always done football for his dad. Conrad found out something last spring. He called me the night he found out. Conrad doesn't give any shits about what his dad wants. 

"I'm not gonna change my mind." He rudely replied. "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways." 

"Well if you aren't playing football anymore," my mom asked, "What are you gonna do all summer?" Conrad shrugged, but Steven said got excited. 

"Oh, dude, you could work at the club. Yeah, with me, Maybell, and Jere." If Conrad was going to act like this all summer, I don't know if I wanted him working with us. 

"Yeah!" Jere agreed, I almost had the urge to kick him under the table, but I quickly decided that wasn't the best idea. 

Conrad snapped, "I'm not gonna work at the club." His reaction kind of made everyone go silent. He just shook his head, taking another bite of his food. 

"Wait," Belly asked, "You guys are working this summer?" Looking at me, Jeremiah, and Steve. Jere and Steven nodded, but they had food in their mouths so I did the explaining. 

"Yeah," I replied, "Jere and I are lifeguarding, and Steven's working at the snack shack." Steven and Jere did a handshake.  I could tell this hurt Belly but the moment suddenly passed when Susannah started talking. 

"Oh, Maybell, Belly, I almost forgot. I have a surprise for each of you." I immediately sat up straight, I loved Susannah, especially her surprises. She grabbed two envelopes out of her handbag.