𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍-got each others backs

𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 as the group entered the building. "Hello?" Rick called out. "Hello?" He called out once more.

The sound of a gun cocking caused the group the be on guard. They saw a man holding a gun pointed towards them. Daryl slowly stepped in front of Dean. "Anybody infected?" The man yelled.

"One of our group was. He didn't make make it." Rick replied.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The stranger asked yet another question.

"A chance." Rick answered. A chance, that's a lot to ask these days but maybe this man would take pity and let the group stay.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man said walking closer to the group.

Rick slightly nodded "I know."

It was quiet as the man looked over each and every person. "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

"We can do that." Rick nodded. Speak for yourself officer Grimes.

-----------

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐉𝐄𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 taking the groups blood they all sat down to eat. Everyone was laughing and having a good time... The wine might've helped out a bit.

"You know, in Italy, children have a little bit of Wine with dinner. And in France." Dale said, handing Lori her glass of wine.

Daryl sat on a counter beside Dean and nudged his shoulder. Dean looked at him and He held out the bottle of wine in his hand. The twelve year old rolled his eyes and snatched the bottle, he took a swing and immediately regretted it. He had drank some of Merle's beer before but never wine and he didn't plan on doing it again.

Daryl laughed at Dean's reaction and took the bottle back.

"Well, when Carl is in Italy or France, he can have some then." Lori said to Dale as she covered the top of Carl's glass.

"What's it gonna hurt? Come on." Rick said with a dorky smile.

Lori laughed and shugged, removing her hand from Carl's glass. Dale grabbed the glass and poured a little wine in it. "Here you are young lad." Dale said handing Carl his glass back.

The blue eyed boy took a drink and his face immediately scrunched up in disgust "eww."

"Well, just stick to soda pop there, bud." Shane humorously said.

"Not you, Glenn." Daryl spoke up. Glenn looked over towards the two Dixon's.

"What?" The Asian man asked with a chuckle.

"Keep drinking, little man. I want to see how red your face can get." Daryl smiled. Dean has kept a huge smile on his face all evening this was the best thing that's happened in two months and it felt great. He was glad he was able to live long enough to do this.

Rick suddenly stood up clinking a fork to his glass. "It seems to me we haven't thanked out host properly."

"He is more than just our host." T-dog said and raised his glass

"Hear hear!"

"Here's to you, Doc. Booyah!" Daryl yelled.

"Booyah!"

"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, Doc?" Shane asked and just like that the joy and happiness slowly starts to drain. "All the-the other doctors that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, where are they?"

"We're celebrating, Shane." Rick told his best friend. "Don't need to do this now." Rick sat back down in his chair.

"Whoa, wait a second. This is why we're here, right? This was your move-- supposed to find all the answers. Instead we-" Shane chuckled. "we found him." Shane pointed his thumb at Jenner. "Found one man. Why?"

"Well, when things got bad, a lot of people just left, went off to be with their families. And when things got worse, when the military cordon got overrun, the rest bolted." Jenner started to explain.

"Every last one?" Shane questioned.

"No, many couldn't face walking out the door. They... Opted out. There was a rash of suicides. That was a bad time."

"You didn't leave." Andrea stated. "Why?"

"I just kept working, hoping to do some good." Jenner said.

"Dude, you are such a buzzkill, man." Glenn said, speaking what everyone else was thinking.

-----------

"Most of the facility is powered down including housing, so you'll have to make do here. The couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like." Jenner told the group as he led them down a hall to where they could stay.

"There's a rec room down the hall that you kids might enjoy. Just don't plug in the video games, okay?" The three kids nodded. "Or anything that draws power. The same applies- if you shower, go easy on the hot water." Jenner then turned and walked away.

Glenn looked over his shoulder at the others with a big smile. "Hot water?"

"That's what the man said." T said and him and Glenn laugh.

The group separated all going in their own direction. After Dean got out of the shower he got dressed into one of Daryl's t-shirts and some sweatpants he had in his bag. After that he put a cot on the floor. As he was making his pallet on the cot, Daryl walked out of the bathroom with a bottle of booze in his hand.

The man smiled as he took a seat on the couch "you're a great kid, ya know that right?" he slurred.

Dean nodded, sitting on his cot. "Thanks... I guess. You're an alright brother." He rolled his eyes playfully.

Daryl chuckled "damn straight I am!" He then sighed. "you ain't gotta worry anymore. I promise ya that as long as I'm breathin' ain't nothing gonna happen to you."

A small smile appeared on Dean's face. "We got each others backs, we'll be fine."
He said, nodding his head.

The edges of Daryl's lips twitched up and he took a swing from his bottle. "We'll be fine." He confirmed.

Dean stood up and walked over to the light switch and turned the lights off before getting back in bed. "Goodnight, Dar."

Daryl hummed covering his eyes with his right arm. "Night."

𝙴𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛
𝟽:𝟸𝟺𝙿𝙼
𝟷𝟶/𝟸𝟹/𝟸𝟸
𝟷𝟶𝟶𝟽𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜

𝖤𝖽𝗂𝗍𝖾𝖽:𝟣𝟣/𝟤𝟧/𝟤𝟤, 𝟧:𝟣𝟣𝖯𝖬
𝟣𝟢𝟣𝟧𝗐𝗈𝗋𝖽𝗌

𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐄𝐃-2:55𝐏𝐌, 12.29.23