Chapter 12 • Best Friends

- Eva's POV -

We all finally agreed on a time to meet up and were headed to the beach. The ride was full of blasting music and me staring out the window taking in all the beautiful views of California.

When we got to the beach, we were able to find a parking spot pretty close and walk over. Michael, Crystal, Luke, and Sierra were already there and were able to save us a spot.

As we met up with the others, I felt a nervous feeling come over me. Part of me felt like I was disobeying Margaret by letting them convince me to let them come here. Granted, Ashton was right about this beach being secluded, there was barely anyone here, but I was still on edge.

We finally got to the spot where the others had set up and everyone started saying their hellos. "Hey guys!", Calum waved. "Are we ready to have some beachy fun?!", Ashton shouted.

I look over to the girls. I saw them both briefly before, at the movie night, but realized I was never actually introduced to them.

"You guys know Eva our publicist", Calum said pointing at me.

"Well...in training...technically", I slightly chuckle. "Hi! I don't think I ever properly introduced myself, I'm Eva.", I say holding out my hand to Crystal, expecting a hand shake.

"Hi! Oh, I've heard all about you! I'm Crystal.", she says pulling me into a hug. "Sorry, I'm a hugger..", she adds.

"Good things I hope..", I awkwardly laugh, hugging her back.

"Don't worry, definitely good things. I'm Sierra.", Sierra says standing up and holding out her hand.

"Awesome, good to know!", I reply with a laugh, shaking her hand.

I set up a blanket and towel next to the girls and sat down, soaking in the sun.

"You ever surfed before?", Calum asked me.

"Well the only beach I've been to in New York is long beach and the waves are too small to really surf, so that'd be a no..", I reply. "..plus I'd be absolutely awful at it.", I added, with a laugh.

"C'mon lemme try and teach you!", he says grinning.

"Oh I'm sure that's a terrible idea, I barely know how to swim..", I say embarrassed.

"Don't worry Eva, Cal here is a surf champion, he exclusively only buys Santa Cruz apparel", Luke jokes.

Everyone bursts out laughing while Calum rolls his eyes. He gets up from the sand and holds out his hand to me, "Let's go, I'm teaching you how to surf.", he insists.

"Really..I'm good, promise", I say with a chuckle.

"C'moooon", he whines.

I think about it for a second. "Fine, but if I drown, it's on your conscious!", I complain.

"Don't worry, I gotchu", he says with a smirk. I take his hand and he walks me to the water.

***

"So Cal's definitely into Eva right?", Crystal questions the others, observing Eva and Calum interact in the water.

"Oh he's down bad..", Michael replies.

"I think they'd be cute", Sierra adds.

"Me too, we have to get them together", Crystal says smirking.

"No chance, Eva is way too focused on her job..", Ashton says, "..but it's understandable seeing as she could get fired for being with him.", he adds.

"That sucks, they really do look like they have a lot of chemistry.", Luke says watching them in the water.