Chapter 17 • Close as Strangers

- Eva's POV -

"Yeah, so now I'm back here, living the dream.", I joke.

"Wow, so Calum really did that in front of you?" Diane asks, "That's really...shitty, for lack of better words.", she adds, shaking her head.

"Yeah.. I'm trying not to think too much into it. At the end of the day, I shouldn't have put myself in that situation.", I confess, "From now on, work is all I'm gonna focus on."

"So, he hasn't even tried reaching out?", she asks, taking a bite of the salad she was having for lunch.

"Oh he has...all week actually...and as petty as it sounds, I've just been ignoring his texts. I don't really want to hear what he has to say.", I explain.

"Well, I guess it counts as petty, but you have a right to be mad. I think it's good you're only focusing on work from now on, you don't need the extra drama.", she replies.

"Thanks Diane, I needed a good vent session.", I say finishing up my salad.

"You know I'm always here for a vent session, I've been here more than 15 years, I know so much I'm not allowed to talk about with people outside of work so I love having someone to talk about these things with.", she explains.

"Aw Diaaane", I gush, "You always know how to make me feel better."

"That's my job, I'm your work mom", she laughs, getting up from the cafe table.

***

4 Months Later - February

"Camren", I stand up, "coffee run?", I turn around to ask the nervous boy in front of me.

"Sure thing Miss. Santos", he says before walking away to the elevator.

It had been about 4 months since my whirlwind romance with the guy I thought was the man of my dreams.

Since then, I got hired full time, got my own cubicle, in the prime spot in the office might I add, and my own intern. I was also tasked with representing a few new artists by myself, mostly newbies that were up and coming and would be easy to work with.

I kept Calum out of my mind for the most part. Sometimes things would remind me of him and I'd have to shake the feeling of sadness, but thankfully, it didn't happen often.

I felt silly, that after 4 months of feeling disappointed about Calum, that I would still have feelings for him. After I came back he had tried to reach out multiple times but I didn't even give him the time of day. I felt bad; part of me wanted to text him but the other part just wanted to get over him.

I wanted to be the girl that only cared about where she was headed in life. I had the career of my dreams, things were only looking up, but I still felt like something was holding me back from being happy.

"Eva, a word?", I hear Margaret call from her office. I get up from my desk and make my way over.

"Yes?", I ask.

"Hey, can you close the door and take a seat?", she asks.

I close the door and sit down.

"Everything ok?", I ask nervously.

"Yeah, just wanna run something by you."

"Sure, what's up?"

"So listen, I know we just came back from L.A., but I'm way too busy here. It's the start of a new year which brings new problems. I need you to go on another assignment, but by yourself this time.", she explains.

Oh no.

"So...what would I be doing?", I ask.

"Well, firstly, we'll have to get someone to keep an eye on Billie, Lauren, and Normani while you're gone. I chose you for this because I know I could trust you with them and you did so well the first time around.", she says cryptically.

Uh.

"I'm going to need you to be the on tour PR rep for 5 Seconds of Summer.", she finally says.

There it is.

"Oh wow.", I blurt out.

"And you'd start in Europe.", she adds.

I stay silent for a few moments, taken back. "Wow...um...it's a lot of responsibility Margaret, are you sure I'm ready for that? I've only been in full role for a little over 2 months."

"I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you were Eva.", she says in an annoyed tone.

"I'm sorry, I'm not doubting you.", I sigh, "I just don't want to let you down.", I say shyly. 

"Eva, you have got to believe in yourself more. I know it's a lot of responsibility but I know you can do this. They trust you, you're the best person for this job.", she says.

That's the thing. They don't trust me.

Not anymore.

They probably hate me after leaving without saying goodbye and alienating everyone. I took our relationship too far and now it's probably ruined.

Unfortunately, I couldn't explain that to Margaret, so I did the only thing I could.

Give in and face the consequences.

"Ok. I'll do it.", I sigh.

"Great.", she smiles.

We spent the next hour talking about how long I'd be gone.

I'd actually have a month and a half to prepare this time. The first tour date would be in early April, in Paris.

She explained that this also came with a pay increase since I would be gone for so long. I would be away from home from spring until the end of summer.

***

The day had ended and I gathered my things to go home.

"Thanks for your help today Camren, you're good to head home.", I say to the intern.

"Thank you Miss. Santos, see you on Monday.", he smiles.

I smile back and make my way to the elevator to head home.

I felt bad that I would have to break the news to my parents that I was leaving again, and for more than half the year. I knew they would be happy for my career advancing and the pay increase but I also knew they hate when I'm gone for a long time. It's always just been us.

Being away from my parents for so long has been hard for me these past few months, but I knew I needed to do whatever it took to make my dreams a reality. I've wanted this since I was young, I couldn't stop now.

Although I knew what I needed to do, it was still hard knowing I would soon be face to face with the friends I made not long ago.

God, they probably hated me.

I talked to Crystal and Sierra here and there, I asked them not to let the boys know that we were in contact. I felt bad that this was how it had to be, but I already made the mistake of jeopardizing my job once; now that I had an even bigger opportunity, I couldn't let that slip away.