Chapter [7]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

S e v e n

             Since Ryder and Caine were being distracting during detention, Mr. Kansas threw away his Sudoku puzzle from the newspaper and took Caine out for a "special job." In other words, he was going to be scrubbing the gym with a toothbrush. With a look of annoyance, Caine sauntered out of the classroom, hands shoved in his pockets.

            In the meantime, we were put on chewie duty. Ryder and I were given two scrapers and a pair of gloves each and were expected to start cleaning immediately. But once we were under one of the desks, Ryder pulled his gloves off and tossed them away, crossing his arms.

            "I'm not cleaning anyone's gum from under those desks. Those things are prehistoric, man. I'm pretty sure dinosaurs were invented when these were stuck here," Ryder snorted, throwing his scraper away too.

            Not bothering to correct him that dinosaurs had evolved, not been invented, I poked him with my scraper. "If anything, I shouldn't be scraping gum off desks!" I hissed. "It's your fault we're in detention."

            Ryder raised an eyebrow. "Actually, I'm in detention. You just had to come along because we're chained together by these stupid handcuffs."

            The thought had never occurred to me.

            "Oh my God, so why am I cleaning?" I wondered out loud.

            "Yeah, why are you?"

            Snapping my gloves off and throwing away my tool, I nodded. "I'm not." With that, I crossed my arms, nodded in determination and made my way out from under the table.

            Only problem is, I forgot how close the table was to my head, so when I was shifting around uncomfortably, I hit my head... right into a big chunk of gum. Realising what I had just done, I tried to slowly pull myself out, but the gum was fresh and it stuck to my scalp like sticky glue.

            Raising my hand, I placed it on the piece of hair and yanked hard. All it did was break a few, blonde strands but a majority of my blonde locks stayed stuck to the gum. I scanned my panicked eyes to Ryder. He was leaning against the chair, skilfully sending out a text with one hand and grinning in cocky satisfaction.

            "Ryder!" I hissed, poking his chest.

            He grunted distractedly as he finished off the rest of his message.

            "Don't make me poke your man boobs twice," I warned with an icy glare.

            Okay, it was more of a muscular peck, but I didn't want to feed his ego. He looked up at me with a glower until he noticed that my head was connected to the table. A grin spread out across his face and he let out a deep chuckle.

            "What the hell did you do?" he scoffed, a humorous note to his tone.

            "Does it matter?" I hissed. "Just help me out!"

            Ryder laughed over my patheticness for another couple of long minutes before he finally reached over into the cupboard of supplies and started rummaging through. Drumming my fingers impatiently on the floor, I waited for him to do something. When he turned around, I nearly had a fright fart. He had something in his hands. The handles were a deep, sapphire blue and the blazes glinted in the afternoon light.