Chapter [14]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

F o u r t e e n

            The next morning, I felt something wet brush up against my butt. Since the Collins' liked warm nights, they had left the heat running and I had changed into a pair of cotton shorts before I went to sleep. And feeling something curl up under my shorts and lick the bare skin of my butt totally creeped me out. But what freaked me out even further was that once I felt it, I heard Mrs. Collins' voice extremely near.

            Oh my God... Mrs. Collins just licked my butt...

            But it wasn't her, of course. Thank God. It was just the family dog, Biscuit. He had gotten a lot older since the last time I saw him. Well, considering it had been almost six years, I didn't exactly blame him. When I used to go over to Ryder's house, Biscuit would always hang out with us in their backyard or come with us on walks, but now, the old, Lab looked just about worn out.

            Sitting up from my place on the floor, I scratched behind his ears. We had decided it was only fair that Ryder got to sleep in his bed because it was his house. He was reluctant at first, probably calculating whether I'd hold a grudge about it once I got a sore back or something, but I guess he was as sleepy as me when we finally agreed.

            My movements to scratch behind his dog's ears made Ryder stir in his sleep and after a few seconds of shuffling, he let out a sleepy groan and looked down at us. He smiled weakly at his dog and he too reached over and patted the top of Biscuit's shaggy head.

            "Glad you're up."

            I had almost forgotten that Mrs. Collins was standing in the room. I instantly felt kind of undressed once I saw her standing dominantly in her Jimmy Choo's, hands on her hips. She was wearing a black business dress, but it was classy enough to wear on a night out, completed with a string of gleaming pearls around her neck. I felt so unsophisticated and naked in my ducky pyjamas.

            "There's a street party being held tonight on the main road," Mrs. Collins said, looking at her son. "As you know, we have a certain... responsibility to participate in these events."

            That was true. The Collins family always contributed to street parties and community events. It was mostly Mr. Collins doing. He loved socialising and entertaining the town. And a few years into their passionate response to their community service, the family was awarded a permanent position on the community organisation team. But when the word got out about Mr. Collins' outrageous affair, their enthusiasm to participate dimmed. Everyone was hesitant in suggesting to the family to retire their occupation on the team, but Mrs. Collins refused to withdraw. She knew the town was feeling sympathetic for her and because her husband left her for a younger woman and was aware everyone considered the family to be broken. However, with her high status and prestigious profession as a successful business woman, she regarded the loss of her husband lightly to her peers and insisted the family tradition to stay strong. Although she acted tough around everyone, I knew a part of her still felt broken about contributing to something her husband was so enthusiastic about. And I knew how much she depended on her son to keep up their reputation.

            "I know." Ryder sat up and ran his fingers through his hair, making it even messier. He knew what his mother was going to say and was aware that it was a delicate subject. I suddenly felt awkward being in the room with the intensity of emotions stirring in the air.