Chapter [16]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

S i x t e e n

 "This is probably the best wiener I've ever had," Caine said as he ate the last of his toasted sausage.

            As late afternoon rounded, the street party dimmed and people started packing away stalls and loading up cars. Only a few decided to stay and help with the last bit of cleaning. Most of the community were back home, in front of the fireplace and sheltered away from the harsh, wintery evening.

            But Ryder and I decided to stay, along with a couple of other kids from school, including Caine. We surrounded a little fire we had built on the sand, sausages on sticks as we roasted them. There was no doubt a bit of alcohol going around because some people looked way too happy being there. And frankly, I didn't find anything about weenies or wind even the slightest bit cheerful. It just made me feel fat and cold.

            Caine had eaten about seven sausages and any normal girl would have been disgusted, but I understood he was a growing teenage guy. I also accepted the fact that he ate seven sausages because I almost beat him with consuming six. Although I hadn't thought anyone was keeping track, when I reached over to grab another one, Caine looked at me wide-eyed.

            "What is that? Your third or something?" he asked, as he jabbed his sausage onto the stick.

            "Possibly..." I muttered, feeling embarrassed that it was really my sixth.

            Ryder laughed from next to me and gave me a knowing smile, his expression telling me he knew exactly about my inner fat kid. That just made the colour in my cheeks turn a shade deeper so I kept my eyes on the flickering tongues of fire as they danced exotically into the early night sky.

            Once I was pretty sure a pregnant woman looked anorexic compared to me, I placed my hands behind me, letting them sink in the cool, damp sand and sighed in satisfaction. It was starting to get darker, just the faintest bit of light over the hills as the sun made its departure.

            A red cup was circling the fire and it was no doubt the reason behind the numerous choruses of giggles. When the cup came around, Ryder shook his head and passed it over to Caine, completely missing me.

            "Hey," I said, frowning. Not that I was going to have a drink anyways.

            "You're not eighteen yet, Nora," he said, glancing at me briefly.

            "That doesn't stop anyone from drinking," I pointed out.

            Ryder just looked at me and a sparkling arrogance glittered deep within his faded blue eyes. I groaned inwards. I knew that haughty look anywhere. He was ready to sneer out an insult. But when he parted his lips, I was shocked to hear what he had to say.

            "I care about you, Nora," he said, lifting his lips into a half smile. "Trust me, you don't want to get involved with alcohol. Besides, I really don't like being chained to sober Nora, let alone drunk and hung over Nora."

            I stared at him with giant eyes. "What did you say?"

            He sighed, irritably. "I don't want to deal with your complaining and throwing up if you drink that crap."

            I shook my head. "The other part."

            "What other part?" Ryder raised an eyebrow, honestly curious.