Chapter [12]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

T w e l v e 

            Training day was hell. Mel and I used to sneak around some warm days and pretend we were doing art projects by the field, but really, we were just watching the footy team run around all hot and muscular. Never would I have thought that one of these days, I would actually be on the team.

            "Ow..." I sobbed. "Your stupid football smacked my boob!"

            Caine raised an eyebrow. "You were meant to catch it, Nora. Your boobs aren't hands. Although, that would be pretty cool... No, actually, that'd be scary." Caine cringed.

            "You didn't have to peg it at me!" I complained.

            Okay, so I definitely wasn't a football fan. Sure, I loved watching, but playing in an over eighteen men's team was scary. What Caine considered as a 'baby throw' was enough to basically knock the wind out of me. And my sprinting was basically crawling to the guys.

            Caine just chuckled at me, shaking his head as he jogged over and picked up the ball. We were just doing the conclusion of our 'warm up' exercises, which included pegging balls at each other, running laps around the field and push ups. Push ups was my favourite part. While all the guys were on their toes, faces tense as they worked their muscles, I basically lied there, face in the grass.

            "We gonna have a quick practice game?" Ryder was talking to the coach.

            The coach, mean, muscular and bald, nodded and soon enough, the captain of the team split the boys into two groups; shirts and no-shirts. Ryder and I had been put into the no-shirts category. Since I couldn't put my team shirt on, I had just tied the material around my waist. All I had to do was pull it off and toss it away. Ryder, who had been much more prepared, had already cut a slit on the side of his so he could remove it with ease.

            Once everyone was in their positions and the whistle blew, it was total chaos. Teams were yelling instructions to each other; members cooperated and moved about the field as the ball swiftly moved towards the far side of the oval. My legs burned as Ryder basically dragged me across the turf.

            "Get ready," Ryder warned.

            I was still trying to catch my breath. "Ready for wh-"

            A football smacked against my head and conveniently landed right into Ryder's hands. His face determined, he raced down the field while I staggered to keep up with him. Then, at the last minute, Ryder threw the ball into my arms and I instantly freaked out.

            "I don't want it!" I yelled at him.

            "Just run," Ryder replied, completely cool with the fact that I was now the next tackle-target.

            So, hugging the ball to my chest and closing my eyes, I screamed like a mad woman and charged through. I didn't open my eyes. I didn't listen to whatever everyone was screaming at me. I didn't stop running. I just listened to the sound of Ryder's laugh as we raced across the field.

            Eventually, my warrior scream faded and when I opened my eyes, we were at the touchdown line. Slamming the ball down and watching it bounce around, I let out a victory cry. Ryder was bent over, trying to catch his breath. Not because he was tired or anything, but because he was laughing.