CHAPTER 3

"You've got a deadline, [L/N]. I want the facility to be complete by the end of this week."

You stood in Ego's office after giving your daily report and he had given you a time limit which you weren't too concerned about as your list of work you had yet to finish was only a few small jobs.

"That's fine. I'll be done before then." You assured him.

He waved his hand towards you, dismissing you and you turned away as you walked out of the room.

After the door closed behind you, you let out a sigh as you thought over the fact that the facility you had built from scratch was going to be known to the world by the end of the week.

It was exciting but also nerve-wracking since many students would be using your technology to help them train to become a better player. If your technology failed then it would be your fault...

You shook your head as negative thoughts began to consume your mind and you gazed ahead with a determined look, wanting to finish your work and making sure everything was perfect.

By the time the week came to an end, you had completed your work and you stood proudly on the side of the stage behind the curtain as Ego prepared his speech for the students who he would present Blue Lock to.

"Testing...one...two..."

Ego looked towards you as you pressed the 'CONNECT MICROPHONE' button on your tablet before you sent him a signal that he could start.

"Congratulations, you unpolished gems. All of you under eighteen strikers have been chosen solely based on my criteria and biases to be here today. All three hundred of you."

Ego then stepped forward as he placed a hand over his chest, wanting to introduce himself before going further into detail.

"I am Ego Jinpachi. My job is to make a team capable of winning the world cup."

The students broke out into murmurs as they didn't recognise who he was and you peaked around the corner to see before looking over Ego who decided to speak further.

"I'll put it into simple words. Japan only requires one thing to become the strongest powerhouse in football and that is to create a revolutionary striker from you three hundred players gathered here today. I will forge the best striker in the world through a certain project."

The atmosphere amongst the students revealed to you how confused they still were and you decided to bring up the map of the Blue Lock facility through the projection screen as Ego explained further his plan.

"For this purpose, we have built this facility called Blue Lock and starting today, you all will be living in this place and will follow my personally designed training regime. You will not be able to go home and as of now, you can consider your football career, as you know it, over." He revealed in a firm tone causing shock amongst the boys.

"You, the last player will become the best striker in the world. That is all for the details. Nice to meet you."

Ego ended his speech in a way that had you knowing someone would object to his words and you were correct when a boy name Kira, who you knew from your database, had opposed to the idea of three hundred students battling each other just for one position.

You could understand his view point but he had to understand that the power of friendship along with the phrase, 'teamwork makes the dream work' isn't going to help Japan win the world cup as they had never won it before in the past.

It was time to make a change.

Ego didn't hold back when he argued with Kira, insulting his beliefs as he spoke on.

"The best player is the one that scores the most goals. If you want to play pretend football then get lost."

He then went onto pointing out other players across the world who had an 'Ego' that helped them achieve their goals and make them win.

"Their Ego is the one thing that Japan's football lacks. You will not become the world best striker if you don't have an Ego to match." He concluded before turning slightly in your direction to give you a signal to opened the doors behind him.

"Those who desire that Ego can step through these doors."

You activated the doors which parted behind Ego and watched in anticipation as he delivered his last line to persuade the boys into joining the program.

"Your greatest joy is scoring points and nothing else. You live for the excitement of that very moment. Now that's a striker, don't you think?"

You heard rushed footsteps and watched with a victorious smile as the players began to run inside, starting with Isagi Yoichi who was the first to accept joining the program.

You saw the blue flame in his eyes as he set himself with the goal of being the best striker and you couldn't help but admire his determination.

The doors came to a close and you came out of your hiding spot at the same time Anri walked into the room.

"Three hundred. Everyone decided to participate, it seems." He told you as you took a seat besides him.

"That's good. I can finally test out my technology on real players." You mentioned with a hint of excitement.

"Remember what you will be doing during this program, [F/N]." Ego reminded and you nodded as you gazed down at your tablet, messing around with it as you answered back to his reminder.

"Be in charge of the advanced practice room and make sure to fix any bugs or errors in my tech as quick as possible."

Anri approached the two of you with her clipboard held close to her chest and you gazed up at her in wonder.

"The future of Japan's football is in those three hundred players. I leave them in your hands, Ego-san, [F/N]-chan."

"I'll do my best, Anri-san!" You saluted towards her making her giggle while Ego rolled his eyes.