Chapter 6

Fuli walked through unfamiliar territory along with the rest of the Lion Guard on the journey to the Tree of Life. She was very tired and it felt as if her paws would fall from all that walking. It didn't help that the small stones and rocks that they were walking on were fairly sharp. The rest of the Guard didn't look any better though. However, Kion looked even worse. His paws were swollen and scabbed, his fur and mane were dirty and tangled due to lack of maintenance, and his eyes would occasionally close for a few seconds, as if he wanted to rest, before snapping back open as if just realizing that he needed to push on.

Kion stopped and started to paw at his scar, grunting. Fuli watched with pity. She quickened her pace to match his. "Kion, are you okay?" she asked even though she knew the answer.

"I'm fine Fuli," he told her through a growl. He growled again, but Fuli realized he wasn't growling at her. He dug his claws into the ground, grunting. It's your scar, isn't it? His labored breathing alarmed her. Suddenly, without warning, he collapsed. Fuli, being very fast and having good reflexes, rushed over to him and grabbed him by his scruff. It wouldn't be very helpful to Kion by falling and scraping himself on the sharp rocks. At first she didn't realize the weight of a growing male lion and she almost fell down too. Luckily she was able to steady herself.

"Why did you do that?!" Kion asked once he steadied his footing. The arrogance and annoyance was clear in his voice.

Oh I dunno, she thought sarcastically. Keeping you from getting hurt. Fuli let go of his scruff once she was sure he had completely steadied himself. "I didn't think it would be helpful for you to fall and get scraped up by the rocks. You're scar already hurts," she said, maintaining her temper. She knew that she should stay calm with Kion whenever his scar was bothering him, because he wasn't able think clearly and didn't quite understand his actions.

Kion rolled his eyes. "I already told you I'm fine."

"No you're not! You literally just collapsed!" Fuli told him. Kion rolled his eyes and continued on with the Guard who didn't seem to notice the situation.

Fuli stared after him in defeat. When will you listen? she wondered. Not today I guess...

Fuli reluctantly continued walking with the rest of the Guard, hoping they would get to the Tree of Life soon. Kion needs healing. And he needs it now. She sighed then continued walking with the rest of the Guard. Oh Kion...

"C'mon guys, we've gotta keep going," Kion told them. The Guard had disappointed looks on their faces. Fuli knew why. They were all tired and hungry.

"C'mon Kion, they need a rest," Fuli told him. "We all do," she added, her gaze wavering to his pelt, knotted and dirty. Kion followed he'd gaze and looked at himself. He looked a little surprised when he laid eyes on his mangled fur.

"Huh, okay... We can rest. Over there." He motioned to a nearby thicket on the edge of a forest, hidden by large bushes.

Fuli nodded in agreement. Finally!

They walked over to the thicket and settled inside. Surprisingly, Beshte fit in the thicket too. It was composed off a bunch of fallen branches held up by a large tree stump without any continuation; Fuli guessed the top might have gotten struck down by lightning.

Kion finally started to groom himself. He looked disgusted at the mess that clung to his fur. When he was finally done, he settled down to sleep. Fuli did too and it wasn't long before her mind drifted...

A little while passed. Fuli woke up to a noise. She took in her surroundings before laying eyes on Kion pawing at his scar nearby, just a few feet from the thicket's shelter. "Makini," she whispered. Makini, who was laying next to her and hugging her a little too tight for the cheetah's liking, woke up, blue eyes slowly opening. Once she knew the mandrill was fully awake, Fuli angled her head to motion to where Kion was.