Prologue

Aemond knew love, but not the love he read about in his favorite books.

His mother loved him the way all mothers love their children. And he even loved his siblings, though Aegon maybe a little less. But romance? That type of love Aemond had never known. Or seen.

He was only ten--what could a ten-year-old know of being in love?

But then came Liliyana Lannister. A girl four-and-ten with enough light in her soul to blind a room. And blinded Aemond was. Willingly so.

Her older brother, Tyland, served the king as master of ships. He was also Liliyana's guardian while at King's Landing. It should have meant Aemond and her would be closer, physically, at least. But that was not the case. Her age, mixed with Aemond's shyness, meant the two rarely spoke to each other.

But today would be different. Aemond promised himself.

He found her seated overlooking the sea. By the gods she was absolutely breathtaking. How could Aemond ever convince her to be with him? He was so...uninteresting. The second brother and only sibling without a dragon to speak of.

Aemond halted his nervous approach. She hadn't seen him yet. There was enough time to turn around and continue admiring her from afar.

But what if she wed to some old asshole far, far away? She would have no reason to ever be in court.

No! He needed her, even if she never grew to need him.

"Good afternoon, my lady," he greeted with a respectful bow. His hands shook behind his back.

His angel looked up from her book. Green eyes met his blue with kindness. "Hello, my prince." She bookmarked her page and went to stand to address him in kind, but Aemond stopped her.

She would never bow to him in his presence. It should be he to bow before her. In time, he hoped to explain his feelings for her. How much power she had over him.

In time, he thought. "Have I interrupted?" he asked.

She sat back down. "No, it's quite alright. I was just reading some poetry."

Aemond's heart skipped. Did she also love reading? Gods, he had not realized how little he knew about her. "Romance?"

Liliyana grinned sheepishly. "Tragedy, actually." She opened the book and found her place. "About lovers who die in war. Or they are too selfish to see how they are hurting their partner. The poems are so obvious how they end, but I just love them... Would you like to read some? Maybe it will take your mind off today's events?"

Truthfully, Aemond had little opinion on today's events. The family visited Driftmark to honor the passing of Lady Laena Velaryon. Liliyana came only because her brother came, as per his duties. While Aemond cared little for Laena, he did his princely duties and showed respect, something his older brother severely lacked. Liliyana appeared somber during the ceremony. Her pure and gentle soul needed to be free from evil. And Aemond would protect her with his very life.

"Thank you, my lady," he told his beloved. He sat beside her and she angled her book so they both could read.

"I am quite a fast reader," she told him. "My brother likes to tease me for how much I read, but I don't mind. Anyway, when you are finished, you can let me know and I will turn the page. Does that sound alright, my prince?"

"Please, call me Aemond." He failed to not sound desperate.

Liliyana smiled. "Does that sound alright, Aemond?"

It was more than alright. It was perfect.

~

Liliyana and Aemond stayed reading for about another hour. He did not admit to her that he barely read from her book. Not because he did not want to. But because he was far too invested in watching her read.

His confidence soared after their date. So much so, that late that night, he snuck out to see the late-Laena's dragon Vhagar. The gods seemed to smile on him that day. Not only did he muster up the courage to approach and speak to the love of his life, but he was able to claim the largest dragon in Westeros as his own.

But all the best things also have bad in them.

In Aemond's arrogance, he lost an eye to his nephew Lucerys. Thankfully, Liliyana had not been present for the altercation or the heated meeting. Perhaps then, Aemond would have felt some regret for his actions.

His mother, the queen, was mortified with her son's injury. She called for justice but did not receive any. She looked over her son that evening while he schemed into the fireplace, waiting for his moment to strike.

"Mother," he finally said.

The queen bent to his level in the armchair. "Yes, my love?"

"I know of a way to make this right. To make this--" Aemond hovered his hand over the stitched eye. He feigned a wince for good measure. "--feel a little better for myself. I fear my future will be quite bleak from now on."

"What are you thinking, son?"

"I want Liliyana Lannister. Wed her to me when I am of age, and I will never ask for anything else for the rest of my life."

Author's note:

Hello and thank you for reading!

Since only the first season is out, I will finish out the season and wait for the new episodes to eventually air. I will also be mainly following the HBO telling with some degressions. I had to Google some stuff when it came to Aemond. No spoilers, obviously, but this is GOT so no one gets out happy. 

Hence this being a tragedy. Aemond is a sweet and psychotic cluster fuck of DNA. We love him for it, but I also love being true to the source material more.

Till next time!