Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Liliyana found her husband in a seat in front of the fireplace.

His spider-like fingers curled around the armrests as he contemplated into the fire. She could only see half of him in this angle. His sharp and protruding jaw appeared more formidable with the fire casting its light.

Following the ceremony, they retreated to her chambers. An odd choice, but Liliyana did not question him. He had the final say in their marriage, and Liliyana was taught to never question or oppose that truth.

He also asked her to change into, "What you wish."

She wondered if she'd be hearing those words often. Despite her brother's laxed leash he kept on her, Liliyana was still leashed. She wondered how much looser Aemond would hold his.

She decided on a gold nightdress with white lace accents. Her sweaty hands twisted her long hair into a messy bun. Liliyana was unsure of how else to prepare for the bedding. She knew her stories were fantasy, and that real life romance and sex were anything but ideal (especially the first time).

Aemond had not noticed her staring at him. She stepped forward on a floorboard she knew creaked. It did the trick. Her lord husband turned to face her form some feet behind him. Like earlier this evening, he surprised her by standing to his full height. His long, white blonde hair flowed with his movements. Liliyana was always envious of their hair. Each member of the family had such thick strands. Perfect for braiding. Maybe one day, Aemond would allow her to braid him.

He guiltlessly looked her up and down. Liliyana did the same. Her cheeks flushed from both the fire and his apparent desire. He then broke their trance by stepping back with an arm extended toward the chair beside his. Liliyana followed and sat. Without removing his eye from hers, he knelt down to her level.

"Today," he began, voice gravely and slightly above a whisper, "is the most incredible day of my life. These have been the longest eight years, but I believe I have finally chose the right words for you." He exhaled and steadied his breathing. "I love you, Liliyana. I have for most of my life. I am...aware, however, that I am not the match you desired. But I can promise you that I am yours. Whatever you desire, whatever you need, it will be done. You may take lovers. I cannot do it. I will not disrespect you, even if I could ever desire a woman who was not you. You are ethereal. Kind and graceful. It is you who has complete power in this marriage and over me, Liliyana. I am--" He stopped when seeing tears well in her beautiful green eyes. His hands twitched and fought to cup her face. He would not touch her without her permission.

Liliyana brushed away her tears but more came. Her husband's confession sent her spiraling. She felt like she was falling. All while her heart thumped erratically in her chest. "I-I'm sorry, I--"

"Never apologize," Aemond told her. "It is I who have made you upset. I should not have done this." Self-hatred overtook his expression and he stood. His form seemed taller when upset, like a mighty dragon hellbent on murder. "I will see you tomorrow, my lady." He bowed low. Liliyana caught his scent: mint and honey.

"Wait!" Their hands were connected once more. Liliyana held onto him like a child would her parent. "You did not upset me."

Aemond returned to her side. "Your tears say otherwise."

She looked into his eye, hoping to find the appropriate response. He still stood tense and displeased with himself. Liliyana needed to make it right. He had already been so kind to her...unbelievably so.

"I was taken aback, I suppose." she decided. "That you have felt this way for all these years. You have always been distant with me. I did not think you wanted to marry me. I am old, Aemond, for you."

His grip on her hands tightened. "I kept myself away out of respect. You are perfect, Liliyana."

Her mother invaded her thoughts. Tears slipped out again, this time with a wobbly bottom lip.

Aemond had to do something. He wanted to hold her, kiss her, tell her she had no reason to worry anymore. "Liliyana," She eyed him with sadness. "I will never touch you without your permission. I made that promise to myself to respect you. How can I help you right now? Tell me and it will be done."

His words echoed in her brain. She turned their joined hands over so his palms faced her. Aemond truly did have large hands. She traced his individual fingers with her own. She sometimes saw him in the training grounds with Ser Cole. Her husband was skilled. A bit too aggressive at times, but she could not fault his talent. Aemond was an obsessive man in all areas of his life.

Including me, it would seem.

Aemond let her explore him. She did not understand the power she had over him. He would have crawled on the floor and pretended to be a dragon if it would have pleased her. Her tiny hands flexed and unflexed his fingers. His years of holding a sword meant nearly all feeling in his hands were gone. But her warmth cut right through him.

Liliyana lifted his hands and tentatively placed them on her face. Aemond leaned forward and tried to remember to breathe. Her face was soft and damp from her tears. She smiled as he adjusted his hands to cradle her face like the men did in her books. They stayed like this until the fire turned cold.

Author's note:

Next chapter will be a small time jump, maybe a few months. Their romance starts off strong and lovely (a bit toxic with how crazy is he about her but whatever), and devolves when Rhaeynera returns with her children. The madness in him comes out. Mix that with his obsession with her and well...hehehehe.

Fun fact: Google Docs autocorrects Tyland to Thailand.