Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

It took more convincing than usual, but Liliyana managed to have Aemond set up a room.

He feared for her frazzled state. Her collapsed and beaten form at the bottom of the Great Sept was branded in his mind, and would remain so until he died. And with the hysterics earlier at the Pit, having his beloved speak in detail about those men ran the risk of sending her over the edge.

But Liliyana remained strong. She was always so strong. She made it effortless, she had the blood of a lion. While Aemond needed to be broken before realizing his strength. And even now, he proved himself. Only his beloved saw past him, and loved him for the broken, small boy he still was.

Liliyana had no desire to describe them. But, doing so meant she would have more time with Aemond before he left. More time in his arms and more undivided attention. She craved it like a moth to flame. And how could she not, with how well he treated her? Still, the familiar tug of shame rose. He needed to get ready, and she was keeping him from that.

Aemond departed after he settled her in her room. To begin early preparations, he explained.

But hours had passed, and the sun nearly began setting. Her husband had not returned. Liliyana tried listening for whispers from servants and guards, but the tower was unusually quiet. It made sense, she argued, with the incident today. Still, she disliked feeling in the dark.

She retired to the Godswood.

Liliyana did not believe much in the old gods, but she could not deny the tranquility the space offered. Different than being in the sept. Sometimes, the smoke and incense tightened her throat and made her eyes water. But the Godswood was an open space, small but mighty with gardens spread about and a patio in the furthest corner.

"Lady Liliyana."

Larys Strong stood at the entrance, his form crooked as he used his cane for support. Despite what most had to say about him, Liliyana never developed a poor opinion on the man. But, she knew better than to whisper secrets to him or potentially damaging thoughts in his presence.

"My lord," she greeted with a small smile. "How is your evening faring?"

He stepped forward and into the dying sun. "Well, my lady. How are you feeling? Today has been another eventful day for you."

"It has. But I am doing well, thank you for asking. I just came out here for some peace. The godswood is lovely. Would you like to stay with me?"

Larys' smile did not reach his eyes. "I'd love that."

They took to sitting on the bench closest to him. Liliyana did not want the man to struggle more than he should. He kept a respectable distance from her.

"I must say, my lady, I was surprised to learn that you changed your mind."

Liliyana did not hide her confusion when facing him. "On what, Lord Strong?"

"Prince Aemond informed me after we returned to King's Landing that you chose death instead of the Wall."

Liliyana's eyes grew with brimming tears. Lord Strong's excitement bloomed in his stomach.

"He is with the men now, in the dungeons... My lady? Are you alright?"

Liliyana stood with help from the bench railing. Her skin felt doused in frigid water. Her heart beat so quickly, she felt her eyes pulse. Stray tears left her before she wiped them from her searing cheeks.

"I am fine, Lord Strong. It is still difficult to speak of it."

"Ah, of course. Perhaps I should not have spoken of it. Perhaps I mistook Prince Aemond's eagerness incorrectly when assisting him with the cells."

Cells?

"It is nearly night, my lady." Larys stood and dragged away his leg against the green grass. "A good night's sleep is the best cure of all."

The godswood seemed to loom over her now. The occasional red leaf fell from a breeze. She could stay here, in this little bubble she made for herself, and never need to look Aemond in the eye again.

She read all about betrayals, and believed the authors captured the feeling so poetically. But now, now that she felt betrayal for the first time, all those words paled to the real thing.

But, perhaps the worst feeling of all, was the disrespect. From someone who she believed loved her so fiercely. The selfishness! No man was above disrespect, it seemed.

Anger fueled Liliyana's insides. The foreign feeling caught her off-balance. But she would not fall. Not again.

With a silent prayer to the old gods and the new, she spun around and left the peaceful garden behind. 

Author's Note:

Sorry for being the worst.