Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

Liliyana awoke well before the sunrise to knocking at her door.

She hopped off her mattress and quietly thanked Aemond for wrapping her ankle last night. After her bath, he insisted.

"Coming!" she told the person. "Just very slowly..."

Ser Erryk stood outside her door, dressed in his goldcloak armor. He bowed. "My lady."

Liliyana took note of a black and brown cloaks in his hands. "Ser Erryk, is there something wrong?"

Unable to form the right words, he extended one of the clothes out for her. "For you, my lady. I'm getting you out of here."

Liliyana blinked several times, unable to move. "I...did something happen?" she asked again. Fear bubbled under her skin. Were the men here? Had they broken through the gates and were searching for her?

"I will not stand for this treachery anymore," he told her. "I will take you away from here. To Dragonstone where it is safer for you."

Is he referring to Aegon becoming king? "Ser Erryk, I am safe here. Aemond is--"

"--unable to protect you from his brother and family if they wish you gone, my lady." He took a step forward. "Your husband loves you, my lady, but I don't think you understand how much he would do for his mother."

Liliyana's visible paling told Erryk his words cut her. The relationship between Aemond and the Queen remained tight as a drum, especially after her son lost an eye. Many whispered that the only reason Aemond was allowed to marry Liliyana was because he pleaded with his mother to make it so. If he needed to choose, Liliyana often worried her husband would choose his mother over her.

Which he should, she frequently tried to argue with herself. She did not understand their relationship; her own with her mother was proof of that. But jealousy came from every angle. She desired to know what it felt like to have her mother care for her, and vice versa. Liliyana also wished to be more important than Aemond's mother. She desired unconditional loyalty, as unrealistic and unfair as it may be.

But leaving came with its own risks. Aemond would burn Dragonstone down to rescue her. Or, she'd be labeled a traitor--and Aemond could potentially be blamed. They'd think he helped her. Forced him into it by using her otherworldly deception abilities to ensnare her husband into doing her bidding. As if Liliyana were capable of such things... She had no earthly idea why Aemond felt for her so deeply.

Either way, she would suffer.

Liliyana attempted a polite smile. The bruising and swelling around her cheeks burned. "Thank you, Ser Erryk, truly. But I must resist. I will pray for your safe passage out of the city." She went to close the door when an idea struck her mind. "Would you please wait here a moment?"

The man could only nod. Once she was out of sight, back into her room, Erryk slacked his shoulders. The girl would die here. Or worse.

She returned holding a crumpled and creased envelope. "Would you please deliver this to Rhaenerya?" She attempted a smile. "I know it's not much. Just an apology for her father... But I hope it helps." Liliyana held it out for Erryk.

The man nodded once before taking it. "Aye, my lady. I can do that."

On the other side of Liliyana's wing, her husband paced his room, waiting for sunrise to return to her.

She had him leave after her bath, and after he insisted on wrapping her sprained ankle. Liliyana wished to be left alone with her thoughts. Aemond understood; his own thoughts raced after what happened to him as a child. He desired closeness, but he needed to keep people at arms distance. Those feelings finally passed, but they took some time. Aemond would wait as long as his beloved needed.

His door opened, breaking his thoughts. Expecting to see Liliyana, he turned to find his mother.

"Aemond," she greeted, though her tone felt more like an accusation.

He stopped but kept silent.

The Queen closed the space between them. "How is she?"

"Healing. But she will need time."

Her lips narrowed, already knowing the answer to her next question. "Are you going to go after those responsible?"

"Yes."

But the answer was not as simple as that. Aemond had never killed before. Thought about it? Of course. But thinking about murder and performing the act were not the same thing. He knew the men responsible would suffer. But death, after everything they had done to Liliyana, did not feel like justice.

There was also the matter of needing his beloved to confirm their identities. She would not want him to seek revenge... But he could maybe convince her if their fate were simply imprisonment. Servitude at the Wall seemed the most logical lie.

"Good," his mother said. She wrapped her arms around him. "But you know that you both need to be present today. Liliyana's friendship with Rhaenerya must be severed. The only way to do that is for her to be there during Aegon's coronation."

Aemond slipped out from her hold as though she had burned him.

"My wife will not be a pawn in your games, Mother." His single eye narrowed. "But I understand the importance of us showing face today. Should Liliyana wish to involve herself in your plans, it will be at her discretion. Not mine. Not yours."

"You put too much faith in her, Aemond. I sometimes wish I did not fight so hard for your marriage to her. Maybe then, your head wouldn't be up in the clouds. The girl tells you to jump off a mountain and you would do it!"

The air seemed to fizzle with Aemond's anger. People did not understand. No one understood how special his beloved was.

"She loves me!"

"As do I, Aemond! As did your father and your siblings! Your niece and nephews!"

Aemond shook his head and turned away from her. "It is not the same... The sun is nearly here. I must get Liliyana ready soon so we can attend Aegon's day."

Aemond felt her disapproval, but he did not give her the satisfaction. He loved his mother, but Liliyana was not up for debate. The Queen left, slamming his door. Aemond practiced his breathing; he did not want to return to Liliyana while upset. She would need him today.

He only prayed they could get through it in one piece.

Author's Note:

Thank you all for the love on this and my Aegon story! It's always a risk putting your work out there and I'm endlessly glad people have enjoyed!

We love a soft but ruthless Aemond 🥴❤️