Chapter One

Liliyana will be portrayed by Ellie Bamber

CHAPTER ONE

When Liliyana looked at the history of her house, a four year age gap was nothing to be embarrassed by. Men and women in her family married and had children with ten, twenty, fifty year gaps.

So why did she feel so...uncomfortable?

Her betrothed was admirable. Handsome in an unappealing and dark way.

No, she thought, that's rude to say.

Aemond Targaryen was tall as a tower with sharp features.

Much better.

He looked like neither of his royal parents. The knife wound across his left eye healed into hard and shiny skin. In the right light, Liliyana thought the texture resembled candle wax. His good eye was ever-watching. A keen observer. Liliyana swore he looked at her when her attentions were elsewhere.

And why would he not look at her? She was to marry him tonight. He probably dreaded the event. To be tied to a homely older woman like herself. His glances in her direction were most likely to convince himself to bed her. Liliyana wondered how many mistresses he had. His brother, Aegon, had countless and the number grew every night. Liliyana only had her stories and poetry for lovers. Men in court avoided her: the respectful act for a betrothed female. Even in King's Landing when she ventured out to visit the Great Sept did men avoid her.

The first time she visited was a different story. Men tried grabbing at her dress and stepped out from the shadows to stop her. They did not often witness a royal female, she had told herself. Their actions made sense. She was a shiny new toy. But their interest completely fizzled out the next time. Liliyana might as well have been a ghost.

Her mother made sure she understood how undesirable she was. Her cheeks were too wide, eyes too small, blonde hair too straight. Mother forced Liliyana to look in the mirror every morning and list off every feature that was unsightly. This continued until she was seven. When her lord father passed. Jason, Tyland and Lilyiana's middle sibling, returned to take over the house. Tyland took responsibility for Liliyana after she confessed her and her mother's daily exercise. She had only wanted to share with him--she missed him dearly.

Liliyana had not seen or spoken to her mother since. Every raven she sent went unanswered.

"Slow down!" she giggled as Tyland spun her to the current song. "I'm getting dizzy!"

Her brother joined her in laughter before obeying her wishes. "How are you enjoying your evening, sister?"

"Tis not my evening, brother. It is not my name day, but Aemond's." For the hundredth time that night, she ignored the pressing feeling at the back of her neck that she was being observed.

"Aye! But you are conveniently forgetting that this is also your wedding party."

Her brother told her months ago the plans Aemond had for the wedding--or lack thereof. He wanted a small, intimate gathering. So small that only his parents, siblings, and her brother were invited. They were to be married following the feast.

An awkward night, to be sure. Liliyana did not speak much to his family. They intimidated her. And they did not make much effort in getting to know her, either.

"Go sit next to your soon-to-be lord husband," Tyland whispered, gently steering her away from the dancefloor. "He hasn't taken that damned eye off of you for a single moment tonight."