Chapter 1

Waking up was hard for Liliana Barrett, who had to juggle three jobs just to pay her rent. She was a waitress for a small cafe in the mornings, she had a part time job at the C&A store in the Plaza shopping centre where she worked 3 afternoons a week and then her evening would be at The Esplanade, a place for bands to play and people to go along and watch. She worked as a barmaid there five nights a week.

The landlord of the flat she stayed in wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with. So she made sure she stayed on top of payments so that he wouldn't come knocking on her door.

Lila had heard of neighbours who had been coerced into sleeping with him just so they could stay there. He would raise the rental price to get what he wanted.

It was a seedy area she lived in, but it was also the most affordable. Outside of that small area however, she loved the town.
Lila had wished that one day she would live in the centre.

Southend-on-Sea in the UK was a bustling place with shops a plenty, restaurants and it was a seaside resort where people would visit from outside of town frequently. It had a great reputation, and Lila would spend most of her down time sitting on the sand along the beach with her sketch book, drawing the sea.
She had grown up there and she loved the vibe it had.

The seafront was somewhere she would frequent, and her Grandma left a beach hut in Shoebury for her after she died just a few years back.
Lila would sometimes stay in the hut if she stayed late to sketch the surroundings. She would light a campfire outside and read some poetry, which she was very fond of. The book she read most was "The Wild Iris" and it influenced her art.

Lila wanted to be an artist, in one way or another, whether it be poetry or through her sketches. She kept everything she created in a portfolio which she carried with her most of the time.

She sat up in her double bed and rubbed her eyes, still waking up from her slumber.
The alarm clock was her worst enemy at this point.

"Grrr" She grumbled as she stretched and yawned, moving her body to the edge of the bed, her bare feet touching the carpet.

As she gets up, the alarm clock goes off again, with the radio being the alarm.
The sound of Bucks Fizz irritating her eardrums as their sickly pop sound filled the room.

She looks down at the alarm on her bedside table and turns it off for good this time. No more snoozing. She couldn't risk being late at the cafe.

"I swear, Cheryl Baker...if you tell me to make my mind up one more time, I will throw this alarm out the window." She says to herself about the band and the song playing. Not her choice of music at all.

Lila walks to the bathroom and looks at herself in the mirror, seeing the luggage under her eyes.
"I really need to get more sleep" She says, before undressing and stepping into the shower cubicle.

An hour later, she finds herself using more make up than usual to cover her under eye bags, and then once she is finished, she pulls her long blonde hair back into a high ponytail.

She throws some Doc Martens on and opens the front door to leave. As she opens it, she sees the landlord just outside, startling her a little.

"Hey Mr Lance. Nice morning we're having." She smiles trying to make conversation, and trying to make it less awkward.

He hands her an envelope and she starts to feel sick, knowing what he's probably done.

He eyes her up and down. A greasy, sweaty guy who wears a white vest top tucked into grey trousers that are way too small for him.

Lila opens the envelope and skims down the letter.

Her heart skips a beat slightly as she reads the words. Her full rosy lips slightly parted and her eyes showing vulnerability.