Chapter 4

Duke's Young Lady

HUGO was staring at the sloppy paper that was handed by Lady Octavia. He did not expect that she will just randomly put a little crumpled paper on his hand.

Does she think I will believe her?

He thinks it was ridiculous. To gain the master's attention, women already did all their tricks so they can get closer to the master.

Delorah has long gone and he was still not able to move on. He was torn between throwing away the slightly crumpled paper but he decided to put it on his desk and check it later on.

He resumed working and forgot about the paper that Delorah gave him. Lunchtime has passed and his master did not come out from the office. Hugo's having a headache when multiple women came to the office and try to enter his master's office.

It was his job to push women away out of his master's sight. If he won't able to do it, he can already imagine what he will become. He shivered at the thought of it.

"Hugo, is the master inside?" Levi asked.

He did not notice his arrival but Levi is holding a stack of papers in his hands.

"Is that the revision of the rejected proposal?" Hugo asked while massaging his temples.

"Yes. We finished the revision and...please take this to the director!" Then Levi ran away like he was chased by a ghost.

"That bastard..." Hugo can't help but curse. Levi just put the papers in a mess on his desk.

He painstakingly arrange the paper and stood up. He doesn't know if this will be approved this time around. His master is having a constant headache these days because of the proposals which are useless and there are no improvements. It was recycled, that's why a lot of papers have been rejected.

He sighed and knocked on the door before he entered.

As soon as Hugo entered the silent deafening room, his eyes motioned to the figure sitting on a velvety chair in red. His desk is made of solid hardwood and polished. He's wearing gold-rim spectacles, a sign that his master is reading documents. He usually doesn't wear glasses, only when his eyes are strained from reading.

"M-master, these are the revision of the proposals," Hugo said meekly. Even though he was already working for his master since he was young, he is still afraid of him.

Who wouldn't be?

His master has this oppressive aura that anyone will cower. His presence alone can make anyone in the room intimidated. He wouldn't even dare to say something stupid in front of his master.

His master lazily leaned on the chair, his black thick brows raised a little bit. His hooded eyes together with his thick and long eyelashes fanned. The most fearsome part of his master's face is his eyes. They are red like blood was smeared on his master's pupils.

His lazy eyes looked at the documents that Hugo's holding. His master did not say anything. He just looks at it.

He knows his silence. His master doesn't talk much so he's already familiar with what to do even though his master doesn't say anything.

He put the documents carefully on his master's desk.

"Details," the master said.

Hugo fell silent and was put under pressure but he discussed the proposals. His master went to get the papers and one by one, he was checking them like a machine.

While his master was checking it, suddenly his master's hands paused and Hugo paused as well and his eyes fell on the current paper his master is looking at.