Chapter 23

A FEW days have passed since her mother's visit and she did not receive any odd or unexpected visits. Somehow, she felt relief since she was on leave and didn't want to spend her time handling her parents.

These past few days, the entire Lampriere Kingdom is on the buzz because of the current power struggle from one of the biggest cities in the Kingdom.

Marquis Godfrey Leodas Azarel Le Titania, the marquis of Cardinal Lerogue City was entangled in treason. According to the spread of rumors, the marquis was has hidden an army behind the emperor's knowledge. There is also a lot of transaction of smuggled firearms and armory that caused another wave of suspicion.

The marquis is now facing treason and the whole city was under siege by the emperor. Marquis Le Titania was seized and locked up. Once treason is proved, the marquis, his entire family, and other officials who are in cahoots with the marquis will be sentenced to death.

The entire city was shaken because of the arrested marquis and the officials under him. The families of each official are also under house arrest. They live in fear now because any moment, the knights could barge in and drag them to the execution center. People who plan or commit treason will face public execution.

Delorah did not care about the rumors. She has no interest in Cardinal Lerouge City. Once the city will be leaderless, another marquis will emerge to lead the city. But the city is too big and even though Delorah wants to have it, she can't obtain it. The money can't buy it and the emperor will award the city to the knight who has the most awards or achievements.

She only plans to get a small city, enough for her to handle. There are a few small cities she found. She already investigated the cities that she can afford. Currently, there is one small city that has no leader. The city is currently in famine due to no one is handling the people. The city was ruled by bandits and they are collecting massive taxes from the people that caused poverty.

The Elderly are working and the adults were overworked. While the women, if a girl is a beauty, the bandits will take away the girl and add her to their harem. The entire city is under siege by the bandits and the kingdom seems to turn a blind eye to the situation.

She pitied the people in the small city that was neglected. The people could not complain about the sky-high tax collection because the bandits also protected them from ghouls at night. They have no choice but to curb their anger and endure.

"Young Lady! There is a letter that came..." Pauline was rushing and the color of her face is a bit paler than usual.

Letter? Since the start of the existence of cell phones, there have only been minimal events that involve letters. Delorah's lips pursed and she's racking her brain about what could the letter serve.

She took the letter from Pauline and she flipped it to look at the seal.

It was the royal seal from the palace.

Delorah frowned deeply. She's not affiliated with anyone in the Palace. She's also not familiar with the emperor.

Her mind is already thinking a lot of things before opening the letter. She carefully opened the sealed letter with the gold embossed mark of the emperor.

As she opened the letter, a mild scent of lavender hit her nostrils. The special paper is scented and smooth. She opened it and she saw the beautifully written paper. The person who wrote the letter has great calligraphy. Even her penmanship pales in comparison.

To Lady La Vernize,

I am writing this letter to personally invite you to a meal in the Palace. I have heard a lot of good things about you and the involvement of your name in the recent incident is a great pity.