Chapter One

Kasia.

'Kasia!' The NYPD Sergeant shouts. I come back to where I am. It's a once tastefully living room, now smashed to bits, blood spatters decorating the walls. In the corner, some poor soul waits to be put in a body bag, and behind me out in the hall, more people are waiting. Let them, I've earned my right to be here first.

'Sorry. I was just thinking.'

'Great. Can you give me your very expensive report on what's happened here?'

I rattle off my train of thought, and the Sergeant nods and takes notes. 'Well, thank you. That will save us all a bit of time.'

'Glad to be of service.'

Consultant. After my education and a stint in the air force, it was a nice, one suit fits all kind of title and with my various experiences, got me a lot of varied freelance work for various law enforcement agencies and departments. 

I got used to the looks, hardboiled detectives getting snippy with a twenty-something dropping in on them and spouting theories. Looks that quickly turned to respectful glances from those I saw more than once because by then they knew I was right and good at what I do. Whenever I walk through the door now, I see only respect from my peers and the whole process goes quickly. 

One of my degrees was in psychiatry and I picked up a medical degree in the process - I like to keep my brain busy and that certainly did.

The Air Force did too. It was a family thing, my grandmother flew planes as a young woman, her father had been a Polish pilot in the second world war and I joined in the fun too. Science was what drew me in but I left before I got too stuck. Well, that's what I told my friends from college when they asked. Simpler and cleaner than the truth.

It's when I'm back in Boston, visiting friends, that I have my next run-in with a woman from the Central Intelligence Agency.

She "bumps into me" at a café. I look up from my book and she's in front of my table.

'Kasia, fancy seeing you here.'

She has a big smile, it's incongruous enough on her face but the thing is, we might be colleagues but we're not friends. I close the book, this may take a while.

'Are you going to try that with me?' Her face straightens, all business now.

She smiles before she pulls out the seat opposite and asks if she can sit down. 'You're certainly keeping busy. What brings you to Boston this time of year?'

'Are you going to keep asking questions you already know the answers to? You're a busy woman, Marion, we both know that.'

'True. I've got a few projects on the go, very busy. And an opening for a new project has come up, thought I'd ask you if you were interested.'

'I'm not. Thanks for thinking of me.' I know Marion's work, very dark and dangerous projects overseas.

'You haven't even asked me what it's about.'

'Given what I'm already aware of what you do already, I don't need to know the details to know that I should say no.'

'You're a very clever, unique individual who could perform 10 professions. With this new project, you would be the best candidate for the position. Temporary secondment. I have a list of names to take off the list, once it's empty, you're free to do whatever it is you do now.'

'And once those names are gone, more sign up to fill those roles. I'm not a fool, Marion.'

'Never thought you were.'

'And if you need candidates, need I remind you of what city we're currently in and the colleges that are here.'

'All excellent points. But the person I need, it's not just brains that are required for this role. Your previous CO spoke very highly of you in that regard.'

I frown, breaking up fights on the ground doesn't - and shouldn't count. But all I say is, 'Again, not a rare mix.'

'You're saying no.'

'Marion, you respect my work. Now, respect me and the fact I have declined your offer.'

She raises her eyebrows. 'I've asked nicely. Maybe I should try again a different way.'