Chapter Five

Daniel.

'Lieutenant , this is the asset. Asset, this is Lieutenant Reid. Lieutenant , you are rostered on to guard the asset. Ms Hardcastle made the recommendation.'

Put your bag in the camp and return here.'

Outside, I wonder what fresh hell they've made up for me. Not as though I don't deserve it

but it seems as though I've gone off the reservation into something scary.

I make quick time in putting my bag in the sleeping quarters' tent in a locker by my bed and

returning to the asset tent, as my mind has already named it.

The Major points out a chair that I'm allowed to use. I want to stand first though. I don't

want to be comfortable here.

The girl is sitting on the bed, reading a file. It takes me a moment to recognise it as one

of the files on the Major's desk.

'Are you finished with that?' He asks her and she nods, handing it back. He leaves after saluting and I return it.

I stand at the other end. She stretches out on the bed and lies down on her back. I appreciate the silence and the fact she's not looking at me. It's the first time in a while I haven't had to deal with sideways glances and I feel that part of me relaxing a little. A couple of hours pass and two trays of dinner are delivered.

'Your shift ends at 2200 hours and starts again at 0600.'

'Right.'

She - the asset eats her dinner slowly. This has got to be the easiest assignment I've had yet. The back tent behind this one, I follow her to a small washroom where she washes her hands quickly and returns to bed.

Just when I think I may have to face some kind of conversation with the asset, she picks up a book from the table by the bed and starts reading.

The next morning, I return and she's asleep. I settle by my usual spot by the wall and wipe the sleep from my eyes.

The screaming really wakes me up, properly and I jump a little when I hear it. A couple of shrieks and she's awake. There are a few tears but when she realises I'm there she stops and quickly turns away. Some deep breaths and then she lies down again. I wonder if she expects me to talk to her, or if I'm expected to. A few moments pass and she picks up the book from last night and continues to read it. Message received. We don't have to talk.

The relief is sky-high.