Chapter Seven

Daniel.

On the fifth day, she - the asset, starts getting restless. The nightmares don't stop when she's awake and now she looks ill. When the food comes she's much slower than before and picks at the tray. When my shift ends that night, the Sergeant that comes to relieve me notices her lack of appetite.

'How long has that been going on for?'

'Just started today.'

'If that continues they'll have to use a tube. Can't have the asset go hungry.'

'I'm not surprised she's not eating, she already looks ill.'

The Sergeant gives me a look. 'You're not getting sentimental, are you, newbie?' He scoffs.

'Just stating a fact,' I reply, cutting off the 'asshole' I was going to end that sentence with, but he hears my tone.

'Don't get cocky. This is only day five. It's going to get a whole lot worse. It's the not first time we've had to use the tube. The asset can handle it. Do I need to tell the Major you can't?'

'Course not.'

'Good. I'll see you at 0600.'

X

The sixth day and she - the asset hasn't slept. Hasn't talked to me either. The books she - it has, are strewn around the room. The Sergeant didn't bother to put them back so I do. Leaving them on the floor would be a hazard.

At least that's what I tell myself until I recognise one of the titles.

'You're not allowed to read when you're on duty.' Her voice is harsh, almost a croak. I wonder if that's the first time she's spoken for a while but then I remember the men outside talking about her swearing when Ms Hardcastle was here.

I put the books back on her table. 'Wasn't going to.'

There is almost a smirk on her face before her face screws up and she dry retches over the side of the bed.

I take a step back, I'm breaking some kind of protocol by being this close. She lies back down and closes her eyes. I noticed her tray was empty this morning. Whether that was because she managed to eat or not is anyone's guess. The Sergeant didn't enlighten me.

'I ate.'

Her eyes are still closed but it's still a surprise. I thought I was safe in here. Safe - fuck. This is practically limbo. She speaks again but I turn away. I don't want to hear anymore.

Ninth day and she looks weaker than people in the palliative ward. I notice the tray second, it's full.

'You're going to have to feed the asset meals.' The Sergeant looks disappointed.

'So no tube?' I

'Higher-ups think it will exhaust her.'

'I thought breakfast fell in your shift.'

'I'm not feeding the freak. You're the newbie, you do it. If you can't handle it, I'll tell the Major and you can face a court martial.'

'Fuck you too.'

'Oh, there's your spine. And here I thought you're a pussy.'

'Your shift's ended. Fuck off.'

'Fine. And here I thought I could watch the show.'

He slides out of the tent and I wait a few minutes before picking up the tray. One eye cracks open, then the other, sees me and she closes her eyes again. 'I'm not hungry.'

'Neither am I and I ate this morning.' I don't have it in me to be cheery. It's way too early and too - everything else for this shit.

'Fine.' She shuffles and pushes herself up into a half-seated position, I don't even know how she's moving but then she stops and puffs a little from the energy.

'Where do you want this?' I ask, holding the tray.

'Here,' she gestures to her right side. 'Don't worry, I'm too old for the airplane spoon.' She drains the glass of water that's by her bed and wipes her hand on her mouth. I'm close enough to see the sweat, it's beading on her forehead. Despite it, she picks up her fork and starts eating. I take a few steps back, glad not to be playing nursemaid.

It takes an age, but she empties the tray.

'Fuck.' She lies back down and I quickly move the tray to its spot by the tent flap.

'Tell me now if you need to throw up.'

'I'm not going to throw up.'

'I saw you dry retch the other day.'

'That's different.'

A few things fall into place. 'They've got you hooked on something, and now they're drying you out.' It's not a question.

'Right in one.' She opens her eyes again - then quickly shuts them. 'Tell me when the room stops spinning.'

'That might be a while yet.'

'Yeah. This is day nine, right?'

'Yeah.'