𝐎𝐧𝐞 ~ The Dragon Twins

At nearly 7 months old, the young Prince Daelon Velaryon was announced dead by the masters of the Red Keep. The city of King's Landing sank into mourning for a week but soon returned to its rainbow of hustle and bustle. It would have been a much sadder occasion if Princess Rhaenyra did not already have a son, but it still hurt the princess and her husband very much.

In the aftermath of her darling brother's death, Princess Daenaera was almost forgotten. She would have been if not for the two dragons that followed her everywhere, from the cradle to the bath to the gardens. They were named Veraxes and Vhalor. Veraxes was of the purest white scales, with red eyes like the Princesses and a hint of pink on the end of her tail and wings. Vhalor was slightly more grey with hints of green, but still clearly a white dragon. His eyes were the same red as his sister's and rider's.

It wasn't until months after Prince Daelon's death that the Princess Rhaenyra realised that her daughter had two twin dragons instead of one. The midwives and dragon keepers explained that after Vhalor's promised rider had died, he had bonded with Daenaera, despite the bond she already had with Veraxes. This left the young princess of 9 months with two dragons to her name, a trio that would come to be known as the white triplets.

Princess Rhaenyra demanded that her daughter's dragons be kept a secret and that only one was to be allowed outside with Daenaera at a time. This upset the infant Princess and her dragons very much as they had never been separated previously. The first time the dragon keepers and midwives took Daenaera and Vhalor outside without the third triplet, Veraxes broke out of the dragon pit and nearly killed one of the young dragon keepers in the process. After that, the dragon keepers refused to separate the girl and her 'devil dragons.'

   The three young ones spent their entire childhoods together, never once separated unless to sleep or eat.

~

   "But mother, Daenaera's dragons are allowed inside the castle! Why can't Vermax come in?" Jacaerys asked his mother. Rhaenyra sighed. She had this conversation at least once a week with one of her two sons.
"Jace, you know why Veraxes and Vhalor are allowed inside. Last time we tried to separate them from Daenaera Veraxes nearly killed someone. She was only a half-year-old then. Just imagine what they would do now, my boy."

   "It's not fair."

   Jace wasn't lying or being over dramatic when he said that his sister's dragons were treated much better than his own. The girl had been given the rooms with the biggest balconies in both the Red Keep and the Dragonstone castle to accommodate her dragons, and they were allowed inside. Her mother did not know what she would do when the dragons became too big for the walls of the castles. Rhaenyra could only hope that Daenaera would be old enough to command them to stay outside.

   Daenaera walked into the room just as her brother finished talking, and as he saw her he looked to the ground guilty. Her two dragons trailed behind. At just over 7 years of age, their heads reached to about her waist, too small to ride, but big enough to kill a man.
"Are you talking about my dragons again?" Daenaera questioned with sadness in her voice. Upon sensing her rider's feelings, Veraxes crawled forwards and nudged Dae's hand. Jacaerys looked to the ground.
"No, darling, me and your brother were just discussing when he would begin his flight training." her mother stated.
"No, you're not. I heard you." The princess now had tears filling her red eyes. Her brother saw this and ran to hug her, earning a growl from Vhalor.
"I'm sorry Dae. Please don't be upset. I was only asking why Vermax isn't allowed inside the castle like Verax-"
"I didn't want them!" Daenaera interrupted her brother, salt water beginning to stream down her face. "It's not my fault Daelon died and it's not my fault mother didn't bother to take Vhalor away from me the moment he did!"

   Silence filled the room the moment she finished talking. It was five minutes before Rhaenyra spoke.
"If you want to give away one of your dragons Daenaera, I'm sure we can arrange it."
This comment only made the young princess cry more and when her mother stepped towards her to hold her daughter, the twin dragons on her left and right snarled. Daenaera took a single step back before turning around and running out of the room, Veraxes and Vhalor following close behind.

Between her sobbing and the speed she was running, Daenaera didn't notice her child Uncle before she ran into him. Aemond immediately saw the tears streaming down Daenaera's face and grabbed her arm before she could run off.
"Daeny, what's wrong?" he asked, running his hand over her white hair. Veraxes whistled and he gave the dragon a stroke too.
"My- my mother! She wants me to sell my dragons! She hates them!" The tears had slowed, and now Daenaera was coughing.
"What do you mean she wants to sell them? Princess Rhaenyra wouldn't do that. She loves you too much."
"She said it to me Aemond. She said it to me. Jace was there too! My own family were plotting to sell my dragons."
"Daeny, breathe," Aemond ordered. The girl closed her eyes and took three deep breaths like she was always told to when she cried. "Now tell me what you want to do?"
"I want to go to the dragon pit. I want to burn something."

~

Seventeen minutes later, Aemond and Daenaera stood in the dragon pit, three dragon keepers stood with them. Two more dragon keepers walked in and tied two goats to metal posts.
"You may begin, Princess Daenaera." said the lead dragon keeper.
"Dohaerās Veraxes. Dohaerās Vhalor." The two twin dragons stood tall at hearing the Valarian word for 'obey'.
"Māzīs," commanded Daenaera. The two dragons stalked towards her. "Good Princess. Now, command them to burn the goats. One at a time."
"Dracarys Veraxes!" The white and red dragon turned around as her brother watched. Seconds later, Daenaera was watching her dragon devour a goat with the biggest smile on her face. Aemond patted her on the back.
"Now Vhalor. Before he does it himself."
"Dracarys Vhalor!" said the Princess, with a smile on her face. The male dragon did the same as his sister, cooking the goat before eating it.

"Well done Princess. Would you like to leave the dragons here now?" asked one of the dragon keepers once they finished their lesson.
"No, Daenaera's dragons are to stay with her." interrupted Aemond, before Daenaera could answer. This made her smile.
"Yes, Prince Aemond. Of course." the keeper answered before scuttling off.

The young Prince and Princess left the dragon pit, two dragons trailing behind them.