𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ~ Spool of Green

Alicent Hightower sat in the chair of her husband, the King Viserys. On her left stood Ser Criston Cole and on her right was her father. Around the rest of the table sat the men of the council, most of whom were showing their disapproval of Alicent through their glances. Aemond and Aegon were in attendance as well, creating more confusion in the minds of the lords.

"Your grace, may I ask why we have been summoned? Does it relate to the King's health." asked Lord Lymam, the master of coin. Murmurs erupted around the room and questions of the kings health arose. The hand of the king silenced them by simply stepping forward.
"Our King is in good health. You have been called here to discuss the matter of the Princess Daenaera's hand."
"Shouldn't Daenaera be here then?" asked Aemond.
"Women rarely get to choose their husbands Aemond. Princess are not exempt from this." answered the Queen, her tone both sharp and calming at the same time, "The girl's mother should really be the one doing it, but Rhaenyra is futile and hopeless when it come to anything to do with her children. That is why they are all such beasts."
Aemond's face turned sour at her remarks, but he couldn't reason with his mother. No one could.

   The lords began their discussion, most of them offering their sons, grandsons or nephews as contenders for the Princess's hand. Only a few was really considered.
"Do we not believe Cregan Stark would be the girls best match?"
"My nephew has been infatuated with the princess since childhood."
"She should wed one of the Lannister boys. It would be a good alliance for the crown."
It was even said that Aegon should take her as a second wife, as his namesake did. He himself shut this down.
"I would not wed Daenaera Velaryon if my crown depended on it. That girl is a ba-"
"Aegon." interrupted Aemond with a sharp, stern tone. He stared into his brother's eyes until he sighed and relaxed into his seat.

"Well, if Aegon will not wed her, what about Aemond?" suggested Ser Tyland. This made the Prince's head jump up. The idea of being Daenaera's husband, of being with her forever, made Aemond feel something he had never felt before. Could it be euphoria, adoration or distain and bitterness? He didn't know. He didn't know if he ever would.

"Aemond!" snapped Alicent. The entire table was looking towards the Prince, who had not been listening to the conversation for almost five minutes.
"What do you think? About the proposal?" asked one of the lords.
"I- excuse me, what proposal?" questioned Aemond, confusing spreading over his features.
"What do you think of the arrangement? You and the Princess." continued a different lord.
"I... think it's a good idea. I do not hate her and it would help to prevent a feud over the succession."
"Well it's settled then. I will talk to the Princess tomorrow." announced the Queen.

   After leaving the small council chambers, Aemond rushed towards Daenaera's chambers. Barely two steps out the door, his mother called to him.
"Aemond, if you dare to tell that girl about the proposal before I can formally ask her, I will be rid of the plan altogether."
He nodded then continued to his destination.

~

   The passage that the girl's chambers were attached to was ominously deserted. Usually it was buzzing with maids and guards, but now there was not a single person in sight. Not even Daenaera's northern boy, who was normally stood by her door, could be seen. Slight concern flooded his mind.

   Upon reaching Daenaera's chambers, Aemond was not greeted by a guard, but by voices beyond the door. He wouldn't have thought anything of it if not for the low, gruff voice that accompanied Daenaera's soft and calm one. The two voices were talking so quietly it might as well have been a whisper.

   Aemond opened the door as silently as possible then peaked his head in to see who the voice belonged to. He saw Ser Kennat Snow knelt by Daenaera's bed. One of Kennat's hands was caressing her face and the other holding the edge of the bed, as if he was scared to be pulled away.
"I am sorry, Daenaera. I should have been there. I- I thought you would be safe with your brother." swore Kennat, who looked to Aemond more like a boy than a knight sworn to a Princess of the Seven Kingdoms.
"Ken, please. It was not your fault. Both Jace and Aemond both blame themselves and I cannot have all my boys despising themselves. Forgive yourself." said Daenaera. The way she spoke, so soft yet so firm, almost made it sound like a command. Ser Snow bowed his head as if it was one. Ever the valiant and noble knight.

   The sight made Aemond want to belch. He turned his head away but continued to listen. The conversation dwindled until it became a back and forth of "Are you well?" and "I am, I swear," surrounded by comfortable silence. When Ser Snows armor began to clang, Aemond took his leave.

   On the other walk back to his rooms, the one-eyed prince made the decision that after he had wed Daenaera, he would have Ser Kennat Snow removed from her guard. He could not have his wife protected by a bastard of the north. Or loved by one.

(Sorry for the slightly shorter chapter today. I really wanted to show these scenes but couldn't think of a way to lengthen it so that's why. I hope you enjoyed!!)