aemond I

His mother had burst into his rooms earlier in the night, declaring his brother sick. He thought, maybe, he should feel worried. He didn't think he did. A glance at his sister told him she didn't have strong feelings about it either. His mother wouldn't go into details, just told them that they couldn't see him and that he was being cared for. Helaena flinched away from her as she tried to reach for her daughter. Aemond couldn't bear to see the despaired look on his mother's face, so he took his place in her arms instead.

She relaxed instantly and held on tightly to him. He could feel Helaena watching them. He didn't need to see her eyes to know they would hold an uncanny knowing look. Sometimes, he hated them.

The rest of the night was spent in his chambers. His skin itched to get out. He was fine with Helaena being in here, she didn't do much. When she wasn't muttering weird phrases, she was easy to be around. He felt more comfortable with his sister than he felt with anyone else. He glanced at his mother and sister laying in his bed. There was a sizable distance between them. He could sneak out now, his mother was a deep sleeper. He contemplated grabbing a cloak, but he decided it wasn't necessary.

"All will be lost if you block out the sun," his sister's voice sounded from behind him.

He did not jump. He didn't. He turned to see his sister was sitting straight up in bed, her eyes distant. He watched her, the same eerie feeling creepy up in his stomach as he stared into her blank eyes. She shook her head and smiled at him, "Say hi for me."

He was about to reply when she just laid back down and turned away. All will be lost if you block out the sun? What an idiot. Blocking out the sun was necessary. Everyone knew that. He slipped out of the room after one last glance to make sure his mother was still sleeping.

"Where are you going?" His mother's guard, Ser Criston Cole, asked the moment the door was closed.

"My bed is full. I'm going to my brother's room to sleep," he told the older man. He didn't like Criston Cole very much. The knight had a mean streak that he didn't try very hard to hide. He was fine with lying to him. Besides, only half of his statement was a lie.

Cole nodded and let the boy pass after a moment of staring at him. Aemond went on his way. He kept to the wall as he walked, his head low. Times like these he wished he had his bastard nephew's dark hair. He wouldn't be as noticeable then. He thought back to his sister's last words. Say hi to who?

He was aimlessly walking, thinking about nothing in particular when a scream made him freeze in place. He hadn't noticed that he had wandered over to Rhaenyra's wing. Another scream followed by a loud cry. Aegon. That scream was definitely Aegon, so why did it come from here? Aegon was supposedly very sick.

He followed the screams until he came to a guarded door. Ser Harwin Strong stood tall at his half-sister's door, his face pinched in a grimace as the screams rang out. Luke really does take after his father, he thought to himself as he looked at the knight's curly hair. His hand slipped from where it was placed on the wall, and he hissed in pain as a rock dug into his palm. He looked up to see his nephew's true father standing in front of him with raised brows, "Prince Aemond? What are you doing all the way over here?"

Aemond held his hand to his chest and stood tall, "Why is Aegon here?"

Ser Strong sighed, looking at his hand, "Can I see that?"

"Why?"

"Because you're hurt."

"I'm fine."

"Humor me, then."

Aemond sighed and shoved his hand out. There was a very shallow cut in the middle of his palm. Harwin nodded, "Come on. We'll get that cleaned up."

Aemond snatched his hand back, "I'm not going anywhere with you! Tell me where Aegon is!"