aurora XVII

She can't do this.

Every single eye was on her now, and she couldn't even pretend they weren't looking at her.

"She is to be treated with the utmost respect. She is family," The King nodded at her, smiling like they were old friends.

Aemond led her to the table at the front of the room where her family was standing, waiting for their entrance. She felt physically heavy from all of the eyes on her. She wanted to leave. It felt like there wasn't enough oxygen in the room for everyone. She kept her eyes in front of her, trying not to look directly at the ground. She was sure her poor betrothed would have a giant bruise from how tightly she was gripping his arm. She snuck a glance at the man whose arm she was in the process of bruising, he didn't seem to mind. He was staring down anyone giving her a bad look.

She allowed herself to look around at the people as they reached the table. Some people eyed her with wonder, some with distrust, some with envy, and some with curiosity. There were only a few looking at her like she had brutally murdered their family right in front of them. Aurora couldn't look at them anymore.

"You look positively stunning, my dear," the King greeted her with a gentle hug.

Aurora lightly wrapped an arm around his back, trying not to grimace at the feel of the man who had tried to sell her, "Thank you, my King."

He pulled away and smiled at her, his eyes flickering to Aemond, "My son, I must congratulate you on your victory. I will admit my surprise when you showed up with your brother to compete. I didn't think you cared much for tourneys."

Aemond just barely inclined his head to the King, not saying a word. To his credit, Viserys only faltered for a second before motioning for them to sit. Aurora was stuck sitting next to the King, or she would have been if Aemond didn't maneuver her out of the way at the last second and take her seat. She looked down at him in confusion, and he just raised a brow at her, his eyes flickering down to his lap. Her skin flared as she interpreted the silent message, her eyes darting around to make sure no one noticed.

Of course, everyone did. Viserys was overjoyed looking at them, Aegon was disgusted as were Jace and Luke, Daemon had that usual smirk on his face, and everyone else looked amused by them. Aurora didn't even lift her eyes to the crowd to see their reactions. She took her seat next to Aemond. Daemon was on the other side of her.

Thankfully, everyone's attention was brought to the servers as the food was brought in. It was right back on her after the servers left the room. She didn't know how she was expected to eat when everyone was staring at her. It seemed like they were waiting for something, but she didn't know what that was. Daemon leaned over and whispered into her ear, "They're waiting for you to toast, issa byka zaldrīzes."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Aemond's face fall into a glare. She looked around the table, seeing everyone giving her encouraging looks. She was not told she had to give a toast. She wasn't prepared at all. The King gave her what he probably thought was an encouraging smile, but it just felt like he was laughing in her face. She swallowed audibly, shakily standing up. She felt like tearing her skin off at the sensation of every eye in the room directly on her. No one could shield her from them now.

She picked up her cup, "Um," she cleared her throat, "Hello."

Nice start. She continued, trying not to wipe her sweaty hands on her dress, "I apologize if I seem nervous. I am," the stares eased into slight smiles from the crowd. That was better than before. She continued talking, "I know I must be a confusion to you all. I understand. I mean no harm; I never have. I hope you don't fear me, but I do understand how scary the unknown can be. After the feast, I'll be happy to answer any questions you all have as best I can."