rhaenyra V

She immediately knew what happened the moment she was alerted of a 'fight' in the training yard. Jace and Luke had this awful way of resolving their issues. One punch and it was done. Rhaenyra didn't teach them that, so she often wondered just who did. Laenor certainly didn't. There was no doubt in her mind that Jace had made Aemond punch him. She opened the door to the room she was told they were being kept in. The boys wore matching small smiles as they looked up at her entrance. She dismissed the maids in there with them and turned to Criston Cole, "Leave us."

"I'm to wait for the Queen, Princess," he told her.

"Wait outside. I need to speak to my son and brother," she narrowed her eyes at him, daring him to disobey her.

He met her eyes for a second before he bowed his head and left to wait outside. She hid a smirk, feeling nothing but satisfaction at him obeying. She waited until the door shut to drop her regal posture, seeing no reason to keep it up in front of them. She sighed and tilted her head to look at her son, "Really, Jace?"

He shrugged, looking not the least bit ashamed. He actually looked proud of himself. She sighed again, "Go get it looked at. We'll talk later."

He looked confused as he looked from Aemond to her in rapid pace before opening his mouth to speak, but she cut him off, "He's not in trouble, Jace," she looked at Aemond, holding his eyes for a second, hating the fear that shined in them. "I only wish to speak to my brother. That's all."

Jace didn't appear convinced as he looked back at Aemond. She turned her eyes away so he could feel comfortable having a silent conversation with Jace. Her heart was secretly happy this had happened. At least, they weren't glaring at each other. She felt some satisfaction that they, at least, trusted each other enough to lean on each other for support. Not that they needed support; Rhaenyra wasn't going to punish either of them, just talk to him.

Finally, Jace sighed and stood. He walked over to his mother, and as always, wiped off her kiss on his forehead and immediately fixed the hair that she had ruffled. A glance at Aemond told her that he knew he reacted the exact same if the slight blush on his cheeks was anything to go by.

She took Jace's seat, "So, did it help?"

"Aren't you mad?" He questioned her.

She shrugged, "Jace and Luke have done this more times than I can count. I should prepare you, though. My boys bruise each other with how much they do this."

It was true. She had freaked out the first few times she had seen bruises on her sons, but each time they laughed it off. She was planning to take Criston's head for being so rough on them in training when Luke had told her that they did it to each other. One punch and you're not allowed to be upset anymore. It was a horrible tactic, Rhaenyra thought. Just the type of thing a little boy would come up with.

He kept his eyes on the table, "It felt good," he paused. "Hitting something. I don't even care that it was Jace."

She hummed, "I can understand that. Hitting something is a good stress relief."

"How do you know?"

"You think I've never hit something?"

He looked her up and down before shrugging, "I don't know."

She laughed, "I'll admit, it hasn't been much. Just maybe hit a pillow next time."

He looked away, barely giving her a glimpse of his smile. She frowned, knowing she was about to ruin this, but she had to. She had to tell him that he was safe with her. She leaned forward, keeping her hands on her lap where he could see them, "I need you to know something."