aurora XI

"Mother wants us to come home," Aegon's voice echoed around the silent room. He silently handed the letter to Aemond, who read it to himself. Aurora peeked over his shoulder to read.

Aegon, Aemond, and Helaena,

I miss you. Please come home. I promise it'll be different. I will be different. Just come home. Even if it's just for a short visit. I need to see my children. Please.

-Mother

Aurora had grown to dislike the woman after everything she's heard about her from her friends, but she couldn't stop the twinge of pity that poked at her heart while reading the desperate tone of the letter their mother had sent. She didn't know what she would do if her own father had sent a letter like that. She also couldn't say she'd blame them if they did choose to leave, even for a short time. She didn't want them to, of course, but she wouldn't get upset with them for doing so.

The letter was handed to Helaena, who didn't even bother reading it, and she handed it directly to Rhaenyra. Her eyes quickly scanned the letter. Aurora reached under the table to find her friend's hand to offer him support. She rested the tip of her shoe against Helaena's since she couldn't reach her hand. Aemond gripped her hand back with a grip so tight it hurt. She didn't complain, though; she just let him take the support he needed. Aegon was glaring at the parchment in his sister's hand as though he could set it on fire by gaze alone.

Rhaenyra gently put the letter down and addressed the table, "Do you want to go back?"

No one answered. She sighed, "You don't have to decide right now."

"Do you think we should?" Aegon asked his sister. Aemond's grip tightened on her hand. She squeezed back.

"I would never tell you to leave. Your home is here, if you still want it to be. But, if you wanted to visit your parents, I wouldn't stop you," the grimace on her face told everyone that she very much wanted to stop them. She wouldn't, though; Aurora knew that. If they truly wanted to leave, she would let them. Rhaenyra loved her siblings too much to force them into anything.

"What if she's telling the truth?" Aemond finally spoke up. Aurora's heart broke for him.

Aegon scoffed at him, "Do you really believe that?"

Aemond shrugged, opting to stay silent. She already knew the streaks of hope that were poking at his heart. The hope that your parents want you. That they love you.

"You know, it's about time I visit Father, as well," Rhaenyra gave her little brother an out. They would all feel better if Rhaenyra joined them. Alicent couldn't try anything if she did go with.

"It would be nice to see Grandfather again," Luke said from his place beside his father.

Jace nodded, "I'll go too."

"I want to go. To see," Aemond looked directly at Rhaenyra who nodded at him with a soft smile.

"You don't need to explain why, Aemond. We'll go together," Rhaenyra told him. He nodded at her, his grip loosening just the slightest bit.

"A year is a long time," Luke piped up again.

All of the sudden, Aegon's chair screeched as he pushed it back, and he stormed out of the room. In the next second, Aurora was giving Aemond's hand one last squeeze before letting go to follow her best friend out of the room.

They walked in silence until they reached his chambers. The moment the door was closed, he let out a tormented shout that echoed throughout the room. Aurora waited until he was ready to accept comfort to walk over to him to engulf him into a hug. She could feel just how fast his heart was beating from where her head rested in the crook of his neck. He wasn't sad, she knew that; he was livid. He wasn't sobbing against her; he was seething.