Ch20: The Answers I Finally Deserve

The Day That Wasn't

♥︎Chapter Twenty: The Answers I Finally Deserve

♥︎Chapter Twenty:
The Answers I Finally Deserve

Five Hargreaves was no idiot.

Even if Dot's message had nothing to do with him, he was sure that if it was so important that she was breaking out into a sweat about it, he ought to know too. Besides, Dot managed all apocalypse issues, the Handler had said it herself, so that must have meant that her message was apocalypse related. Then it was definitely his business.

That was why instead of returning to his office or anywhere where he could continue being productive, he stood at the end of the hall, peering around the corner towards his boss' office as he followed a possibly useless lead.

He tried to look as casual as possible, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed while he watched the door through his peripheral vision. He had been standing there for much longer than he had anticipated and his leg had begun to cramp up, but just as he was about to maybe consider giving up, the blue figure that was Dot emerged from the office.

She scanned up and down the hall in a jittery manor, but she was unable to see him from his hiding spot.

When the coast was clear, she sped away, but Five Hargreaves was quick behind her.

She didn't notice as she rushed into the tube room in a panic, rushing over to Gloria with her message in one of those metal tubes.

"Gloria, the Handler knows that Five is up to something. Get this to Hazel and Cha-Cha immediately." She handed the tube to Gloria, but she seemed lost in the moment of franticness. "Immediately," she repeated.

"Okay. Yeah," Gloria replied hesitantly as Dot sped away. She lifted her glasses to try and get more information on the situation from the label on the tube, but she was still unsure of what was actually going on. "Who are they?"

She moved to take a step into the room walled with pipes, but before she could even react, a flash of blue appeared behind her and something harshly came into contact with her head.

Gloria fell to the floor, and Five stepped out from behind her, grabbing the tube from her motionless hand. He didn't feel bad.

He moved towards the desk, unscrewing the metal cap and pulling out the slip of paper.

Reassignment: Protect Harold Jenkins.

Harold Jenkins? Who the hell was Harold Jenkins? Whoever he was, he must have been important, and a vital piece to stopping the apocalypse if they were so desperate to make sure he didn't get to him.

He didn't want to jump to immediate conclusions, but from this clue alone, he knew who caused the end of the world, and he finally felt like things were working out.