Tooth and Claw

The Doctor had decided on a trip to late 1970's Earth, so Rose had gone to the wardrobe to pick a suitable outfit, settling on a plum t-shirt and a short dungaree mini-dress. Once changed, she returned to the console room, where the Time Lords were busy setting co-ordinates. "What d'ya think of this?" Rose asked them, "Will this do?"

"In the late 1970's?" the Doctor asked rhetorically, "You'd be better off in a bin bag."

"And here we go with the rudeness again." the Artist remarked dryly, "I think you look nice, Rose."

"Thank you." the blonde smiled, "Aren't you gonna change?"

"I changed my top." the Time Lady replied, pulling her jacket open to reveal that she was wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

"Hold on, have a listen to this." the Doctor said, bunging a CD in the player on the console. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick blared out. "Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Number one in 1979." the Doctor told Rose, moving around the console to get underway.

"You're a punk!" Rose laughed.

The Doctor just pushed a few buttons and crossed over to the Artist. "It's nice to be a lunatic." he sang along as he took her hand and pulled her into a twirl.

"And that's what you are!" the Time Lady laughed, "A lunatic and a punk!"

"With a bit of rockabilly thrown in!" Rose added, then turned to the Artist; "And you're a rocker!"

"Oh, yes!" the Artist grinned. She was very partial to 70's & 80's rock music, with Whitesnake being her favourite band.

"Wanna go and see him?" the Doctor asked.

"How'd ya mean? In concert?" Rose asked.

"This is a time machine, Rose." the Artist reminded as she and the Doctor danced around the console, "We could take ya to the Battle of Trafalgar, the first anti-grav Olympics..."

"Caesar crossing the Rubicon." the Doctor added, "Mallard breaking the world speed record..."

"Concorde's first and last flights." the Artist chimed in, "Queen ruling the world at Live Aid..."

"Or Ian Dury at the Top Rank, Sheffield, England, Earth, 21st of November 1979." the Doctor finished, "What d'ya think?"

"Sheffield it is!" Rose grinned.

"Hold on tight!" the Doctor called. He pulled a lever and they all lurched forward as the TARDIS shot off through the Time Vortex. The song continued to blare, with the Doctor whacking the console with his trusty mallet to the beat of the music, much to the women's amusement. "LAAAAAADIIIIINNG!" he whooped.

———————————————————————————

The TARDIS settled into land with an almighty jolt, knocking the trio to the floor, all three of them laughing their heads off. "1979. Hell of a year!" the Doctor said excitedly as he jumped to his feet and helped the Artist up, "China invades Vietnam, the Muppet movie, love that film! Margaret Thatcher... ugh!"

"She wasn't that bad." the Artist snorted, moving to the monitor to check their location to see if they'd arrived where they were supposed to be.

The Doctor grabbed his coat and bounded to the doors. "Skylab falls to Earth... with a little help from me. Nearly took my thumb off..." he rambled as he and Rose went outside.

The Artist looked at the monitor and her face instantly fell. She hurried after her the Doctor and Rose, hoping to stop them before it was too late, but it already was. She stepped out to find them being held at gunpoint by a group of redcoat soldiers. "1879." she muttered to the Doctor as they all put their hands up.