Chapter 5: Detention - Part 2

Disclaimer: I do not own Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. If I did, Percy would be bisexual.

Chapter 5: Detention - Part 2

When the end of the hour was up, there was a flood of students making their way to the exit, creating a bottle neck at the door. Draco merely rolled his eyes at their shenanigans before turning back to his work. After being caught staring, twice, by the noirette, he had decided to distract himself by burring himself in work. By the time the detention period was over, he had finished the assignment given and had most of his potions essay done, leaving only care of magical creatures homework to be done which was relatively easy (really the class was a joke, no one took it seriously, including him).

But Draco, being the cunning snake all Sylitherin were supposed to be, stayed back and waited for the congested doorway to clear out. In the mean time, he took his time in packing his things, lazily glancing about for any suspicious activities that he could look into later. In one such glance, he caught the Hufflepuff still lounging in her seat, eyes shut with a peaceful expression on her sculpted face. He was surprised to see her still here, having thought her one of the first to run out of the room once her time was served. Either she had a similar idea as he did and was waiting out the storm of teens or she was simply still napping, not even aware that detention was over. With the accounting of her calm expression and her steady breathing (not that he was looking or anything), he concluded that it was the later rather than the former. He scoffed. 'How typical.' He had half a mind to wake her but then reasoned against it (he honestly didn't even know the girl and it would be most in appropriate).

Instead, he gathered his packed bag and robe before marching out the room with all the grace and dignity he possessed. As he passed through the doorway, he caught sight of the so called "Golden Trio" loitering near the room but didn't pay them any mind. Draco didn't need to look to know that they were surprised. The offended voice of the second youngest Weasley shouting at him in challenge was enough and it brought a small smirk to his pale lips.

As he rounded the corner, Draco spared a glance at the trio to see them arguing rather loudly (no doubt about his behavior - and didn't that make him feel smug-) but took a second longer to watch as the green-eyed 'puff exited the detention room to join the trio, who were apparently waiting for her. The Malfoy heir felt an overwhelming sense of confusion, tinted strangely by a vague sense of disappointment and bitterness. Of course she was friends with Potter. When had they even met anyway?

They probably bonded over their mutual hate of him after their fight; he did land her in detention.

That thought made the vague bitterness and disappointment sharpen, stinging his heart and making him grimace lightly. Here he was, daydreaming of her - in one form or another - all morning, thinking about how she was one of few to show him genuine kindness, only to find out that she was no different from the others. And maybe it was delusional to think that he had found a kindred spirit in her, someone as battered and bruised as he was; that maybe they could understand one another and-

"And what?" He whispered to himself realizing that he didn't have the answer. But what did it matter, anyway? The alleged kindred spirit was having a jolly good time with the 'Gilded' trio.

Draco turned around and glared at said trio. His glare softened considerably when he saw the noirette's shoulders suddenly stiffen. Thinking she had felt his glare, he moved out of sight, ready to bolt (with dignity) if need be. From behind the hall's sharp bend, he silently witnessed her drop off from the group and stride away angrily. Potter ran after her and stepped in her path, trapping her. She crossed her arms, glared down at him, and commanded him to "Move Potter". The 16 year old's stance faltered and left him cringing, slightly cowering, from the authority in her voice and the harshness of her glare. Draco didn't blame him and almost empathized with him. Almost. Still Potter held his ground and tried to reason with her. It seemed to have the opposite effect, only serving to enrage her further.

Tired of watching mimes, Draco cast a notice-me-not-charm and silently crept closer until he was in hearing range of their conversation.

"Do you know him? Can you honestly tell me that you know who Draco is?"
The silence that followed was deafening yet spoke volumes.

Draco didn't know what to expect but it certainly wasn't this. The noirette was...defending him? Well that was defiantly a first. The bitter taste of guilt lapped at his tongue, burning at his lips to utter an apology. It took all his self restraint to seal his lips in a thin line. Draco Malfoy does not apologize (not to mention it would expose his eavesdropping).

The Hufflepuff continued to stare down the spectacled Griffindor, almost searchingly, before her expression softened to a sort of vague sadness. Her ever shifting eyes portrayed an expanse of wisdom that reach far beyond her years, and her lips settled into a smile nearly as enigmatic as the Mona Lisa's. In a soft whisper, she shared her wisdom.

"Be kind, Harry, because we're all fighting a war that no one will ever see."

And with that she turned on her heal and walked off. Though, before she got far, Potter called out to her, asking what that meant as he and the rest of the trio looked as lost as the Sylitherin felt. The Hufflepuff's only response was to toss a small smile over her shoulder and the no less cryptic answer of, "You'll know soon enough." Her smile only got wider when she glanced in his direction before she turned the corner (the same bend he was previously hiding behind) and was gone.

She was gone from sight but hardly from mind, leaving a befuddled little group of four with more questions that answers.

Questions that Draco was determined to find the answers to; for the sake of his sanity.

- Ψ -
Hey! Infinity here! I am alive! Yep. I'm alive and I haven't forgotten about you guys. Just that it's summer and I have this habit of just 'going off the grid' so to speak where I just don't talk to anyone for short or long periods of time. So, sorry guys. This is chapter you've been waiting for and I'm sorry it's kind of short, I just didn't know where to take this story for a while. But you guys have been super awesome to me and super supportive and I want to thank you all for sticking with me and this story even though I have no good excuse. So this chapter is for all my readers!

I also wanted to give a huge shout out to bBoorm123 . She's been a maxing help in restarting my muse and she gave me a ton of ideas for me to work with. The idea to have Perce defend Draco while he eavesdrops was actually her brilliant idea though her's was more fluffy that this. I have a tendency to make fluffy thing angsty or serious but whatever. ;D

I hope you liked this chapter and comments/votes are given by awesome people. So of you want to be awesome vote or comment. :P just kidding with ya, all of ya are super awesome so thanks again!

Live fast, Burn bright
- Infinity
P.s. Just realized this AN is huge! XD