Chapter 6 - Out of This World Party

In its heyday, the Barnes mansion was a center of the community, a place for social events, filled with jubilant voices and high spirits. That was all before the incident, before the eldest boy, Jasper, came back from the war to end all wars. Something had changed within him; something deep down in him broke, twisting him from the precocious youth the townsfolk had loved into a cruel monster, wallowing in misery.

It seemed an unfair turn for the towheaded lad, but his disposition was only the tip of the iceberg. One All Hallows Eve, the neighbors woke to blood curdling screams, and by the time the constables had arrived, all they found were six dismembered bodies: the corpses of all but one of the Barnes family. Jasper was never seen in the light of day again, and the heads of his victims were never recovered, but they say on a cold night in October, when the sweet alyssum blooms, you can find him with his bloody weapon slung over his shoulder and hear the screams of his victims in the cool night air. If you do, run before you become the latest notch on his ax handle.

Kara closed the flier for the haunted house and bounced in her seat. This was a right of passage in human life, one it had seemed she would never achieve, but life was full of surprises, and if you were lucky, they were good ones.

Under the vehicle's overhead light, the only illumination besides the glowing dash and the crescent moon, Kara traced the bullet points on the back of the brochure, her smile growing with each line. "Guys, they say there are twenty-four rooms of terror. The haunted house is ill-advised for anyone with a heart condition or anyone who's pregnant." She looked up from the brochure, glancing around the SUV. "No one's pregnant, are they?"

"Why are you looking at me?" Lena reached out, gently patting Kara's cheek. "You're good, but you're not that good."

Kara chuckled. She may not have been able to get her girlfriend pregnant, but that hadn't stopped her from trying. "Maggie, Alex, how about either of you two? Any heart conditions or other reasons you shouldn't go in?"

"If that is your less than subtle way of asking when you're going to be an aunt, I'll tell you the same thing I always do." Alex glanced in the rearview mirror, making meaningful eye contact with her sister. "Butt out."

"Mean." Kara crossed her arms and slid down in her seat. She had deployed her most powerful weapon, her pout, but Alex's gaze was forward once again as the car tires thrummed across the road. A hand reached out, gently touching her arm through the fabric of her blue, pinstriped jacket, and Kara gratefully took the offered hand. She brought Lena's fingers to her lips, kissing each one in turn.

"You know, we could be home instead of wandering through some old, musty house." Lena's lips curved into a devilish grin. "I bought candy and a costume I can't legally wear in public, if you're interested in either."

"Mmmm. My two favorite sweets." Kara kissed her way up Lena's arms, skipping over the green sequined shoulder strap to press her lips to the pale expanse of flesh on Lena's neck.

Someone cleared their throat, a sound Kara studiously ignored, as her mouth explored the pulse point in Lena's neck which caused an uptick of that pulse.

"Hey, horny girls." Kara turned, head resting on Lena's shoulder. Maggie was spun around in the passenger's front seat, the occasional light reflecting off of her silver and black dress as she swayed with the motion of the vehicle. A smile played on her lips even as she managed a terse tone. "These seats aren't stain guarded, so keep it PG-13, okay?"

"You're getting boring, Maggie," Kara said.

"Yes, what happened to that woman who handcuffed me the first time we met?" Lena asked. "That was mighty forward."

"Soooo." Maggie glanced over at Alex who was once again glaring at Kara in the mirror. "Luthor, this doesn't seem like your thing. You're more canopies than cotton candy. What gives?"