Chapter 2 - Girl of Steel and Nerves

It was Halloween Eve, and Kara had been outside Lena's office for nearly twenty minutes. She practically marched back and forth, pulling on the sleeves of her maroon cardigan. Several times she'd smoothed down her sweater and white shirt, made her way to the CEO's door, then done a 180 and headed back the way she had started. The courage Kara had gathered always seemed to slip away as soon as she reached the threshold of the office. If this were some alien menace bent on world domination, the Kryptonian could face that with practiced ease. Asking a girl out was hard.

Kara knew Lena was in and alone. She could see the other woman typing away as she occasionally used x-ray vision to check in on the CEO. Kara had purposefully come during Jess' lunch hour so that no one would be there in case Lena rejected her. It also meant no one was there to push her to go into the office. So, now Kara was stuck just a few feet from doing the thing she both desperately wanted to do and was terrified of doing. Faster than a speeding bullet: check. More powerful than a locomotive: check. Nervous gay mess: check.

When she received a text, Kara pulled out her phone and read it immediately. Any excuse to stall was a good one right now, but this didn't quite manage that.

Alex: "Well, how did it go? What did she say?"

Kara grimaced then texted her sister back.

Kara: "I haven't asked her yet. I'm outside her office now."

Alex: "Okay, well let me know what she says. You'll be great. She likes you. I know it. Everyone knows it."

"Everyone?"

Kara: "Who's everyone? Who did you tell?"

Alex: "No one. Everyone just knows Lena likes you. It's obvious. You two are obvious."

Staring at her phone, Kara sighed.

"Miss Danvers?"

Kara looked up at the sound of her name. She'd been so lost in her thoughts; she didn't even hear Jess walk in. Wearing a dark business suit and a curious expression, Lena's Executive Assistant looked quizzically at the blonde.

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"Oh, um..." Wiggling her phone around a bit, Kara said, "I got a text. I mean, I was about to go see Lena, but then I got a text. Alex, that's my sister, she texted me. She does that. So I texted her back, and we were texting. You know, like you do."

"Like you do," Jess said very slowly as she walked around to her desk and took her seat. One hand over the intercom button she asked, "Should I let Miss Luthor know you're on your way in?"

"Ah yes. No. I mean, you don't need to. I can just go in. I'm her friend, and she said I can just go in. Friends do that, so I'm just going to go in. This is me going in."

Jess watched Kara drop her phone into her purse and awkwardly make her way to Lena's door. Jess' lips pursed as Kara took a deep breath, pulled open the door, and headed in. When the other woman had disappeared inside the CEO's office, Jess shook her head. "God, I hope that text was from someone giving her dating advice. She and Miss Luthor are never going to figure this out on their own, and my boss certainly isn't listening to me. Brave indeed."

"Hi," Kara said, her back a bit stiff as she stood nervously by the door.

"Kara." Lena smiled warmly but kept looking at her computer screen, typing away. "What a welcome surprise. How can I help you?"

"You look busy. Are you busy?" Tapping herself in the forehead with the palm of her hand, Kara said, "Of course, you're busy. You're trying to run a multi-billion dollar business here. I should have called. I'll just leave."