Chapter 1 - Getting Into the Spirit

Happy Birthday to my good friend. I hope your day is as special as you are @Jeeeennifer30

<>

Kara walked down the aisle at the Halloween store, looking through the assortment of costumes. She tugged at her blue sweater, hands fidgety with seeming anxiety as she needlessly fixed her glasses for the third time in as many minutes. The rows were filled with bright colors and stretchy material, capes, symbols of justice. Actually, it was nothing out of the ordinary in her life. A younger Kara Danvers had adored Halloween when she'd first been introduced to it by her new sister Alex, though mainly for the candy. Now though, she just couldn't seem to get into the spirit...pun intended.

"Hey, how about this one?" Alex asked, stepping up next to Kara, a costume in hand.

Kara turned, her gaze briefly flicking over what Alex held before her eyes leveled to stare at her sister with an unamused look. "Hysterical." Kara took the Supergirl costume from Alex and hung it up on a nearby rack. Raising and lowering her arms until they slapped against her legs, Kara sighed loudly. "I don't know, Alex. Nothing is calling to me. I just don't know what to get."

"Just get anything."

"No, I want to get something good, something great. It has to be the right thing, you know?"

Alex smiled, hands on her hips as she rocked back and forth slightly. Her brown leather jacket hung casually on her shoulders, green shirt peeking it from underneath.

"What?"

Arms crossing, Alex tilted her head to the side. "This isn't about the costume."

"Uh, yeah, it is."

"Oh, really. So, this isn't about the person you're going to invite to the party?"

Puffing up her cheeks while she awkwardly straightened her glasses...again, Kara slowly blew out her breath. "What? Me? No. Why would it be? Lena and I are friends. We do stuff together all the time. She's invited me to her parties before, so I'm inviting her to one of mine. We're just the friendliest friends to ever do a friend thing." Kara stared at her sister for several seconds and then added, "As friends."

"Oh, my God." Alex pinched the bridge of her nose before dropping her hand and saying, "Kara, just ask her out already."

"I...I can't." Kara shook her head.

"Yes, you can."

"No, I've tried. I open my mouth, and then I say something completely different like about work, or the weather, or dogs, or a pen."

"A pen?"

Nodding vigorously, Kara replied, "I got so nervous the other day, I spent like two minutes complimenting her pen. But hey, bonus, she sent me a box of pens. Heh, heh."

Head down, Alex mumbled incoherently for several seconds. Finally, she lifted her head and looked at her sister again. "Look, just text her. Send her a text and ask her to go to the party. Then you don't have to become all...you over her holding a spoon or something. How does that sound?"

"Good except I still have to come out to her. It's why I keep getting so flustered. When I realize I have to come out to her, I just get..." Grabbing the top of her sweater, Kara pulled on it several times as if to release some heat.

"Kara, if you ask her out, I'm pretty sure that counts as coming out."

"Not that coming out. I'm talking about..." Looking around to make sure they weren't being overheard, Kara grabbed the Supergirl costume she'd hung up on a nearby rack and shook it at her sister before hanging it back again. "I have to tell her the truth."