𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑺𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 ~ 𝑨𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒉

*Sorry for the late update, it was a very busy week so I decided to take a couple more days to write this chapter. Hope you all enjoy!*

It took Ilyna a moment to process the words she had just heard. The entire room was staring at her, waiting; she was unsure of what exactly to do. Was it obvious that she was just as surprised as everyone else at the announcement? Should she stand up, everyone else seemed to have stood after the king's words. She quickly stood up and raised her cup. Her eyes scanned the room: Pyrs seemed very confused, Aravos Martell was looking at her with a scowl while whispering to his mother, and her own father was trying to get the attention of her grandfather. It was obvious that her father seemed to know that she was going to get engaged to Aegon, however Aegon as well looked slightly confused as if he had been told he would be marrying someone else. Ilyna smiled and took a drink from her cup, everyone seemed to follow and the people around her congratulated her. She stood still, a smile still plastered on her face. She was unsure of what to do, wasn't seen too young to be engaged to Aegon? Well she did know that engagements were political agreements where age did not really matter, however why would House Strong need to unite itself when her grandfather was already the Hand? The words the king had said rang in her head.

"Come, Lady Ilyna, join us." The King gestured for her to join their table, it seems that next to Aegon had already been prepared; he sat next to her grandfather. She slowly made her way towards the table. Gods, she thought, this was not supposed to happen. Each step she took felt heavier and heavier as she neared the table. The entire hall was watching her every move, she felt their gaze seering into the back of her head. There was no way out of this engagement now, she knew this. If she had been informed in private it would have been easy to say no, but now everyone in the hall knew and they were bound to inform the rest of King's Landing with a formal announcement. She tried to find Aemond or Helaena's gaze as she made her way up the few steps, however both were not meeting her eyes; they kept their gaze on the plates in front of them. She felt utterly alone standing up there with the Targaryen family.

"To Prince Aegon and Lady Ilyna." The king raised his glass once more and the hall chanted the words back. Aegon did not look pleased in the slightest when the family sat back down and the festivities began again.

"Did you know about this." he leaned over to whisper to her. She shook her head, the fact that Aegon asked that question felt like an insult. If she had known she would have tried harder to make his life a pain so he could convince his father that marrying them would be an unwise decision.

"No, I was told that the matter had been settled and that we would not be marrying." She snapped, her grandfather had told her this. How could this have not been true, her grandfather had no reason to lie to her. Did the king make an on the spot decision? However, this was not the kind of decision one would make on the spot.  

 "I thought that as well. My mother said-" 

"Aegon, why don't you ask Lady Ilyna to dance." The King interrupted Aegon. The two of them did not move and she saw Aegon flare his nostrils. Her own hands were clenched at the thought of dancing with him.

"Lady Ilyna, would you like to dance." He gritted out, Ilyna was afraid to say no because it was the King's request. She nodded slowly and placed her hand in his outstretched one. They walked slowly to the floor, keeping a good amount of distance between the two of them. People moved out of their way as they got closer to the crowd. She wished they had just kept dancing instead of making room for them. She could tell Aegon was not happy either, his hand was barely touching hers and he had a very noticeable scowl on his face. Luckily the music was fast so people would be focused on dancing rather than on them.

"I didn't want this." Aegon said before they even started dancing. She clicked her tongue at his words; obviously neither of them had wanted this. Ilyna waited until they started to dance before relying,