When I First Felt Her.

Katniss' Reaction when she feels Peeta and her first child stirring inside her.
----------------------------------------

"When I first felt her stirring inside of me, I was consumed with a terror that felt as old as life itself. Only the joy of holding her in my arms could tame it."

Katniss POV

I stopped in my tracks as I felt something in my widening tummy. I clutched onto the chair with left hand and the other rested where my unborn child was as the movement continued.

"Peeta! Peeta!" I repeatedly scream in fear, not knowing what was happening.

After calling many times, I start to her Peeta's heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. Peeta then comes running and panting into the dining room exclaiming my name. He comes to a halt when he sees me hyperventilating and tears starting to making a line down both my cheeks.

"Katniss?" He asks and cautiously walks to me, making sure he won't hurt me and make my hormones rage with anger. He slowly engulfs me into a hug and I whimper quietly before bursting into tears. I bury my head into the crook of his neck, wetting his shirt. The smell of cinnamon that lingers on his shirt starts to reduce my tears.

"The - the baby moved." I stutter as I clutch onto his shirt.

"Okay. You're okay, I'm here." He replies before he places a hand on my tummy and strokes circles on my back with the other. Peeta shushes me and tells me comforting and encouraging words as I calm down.

I close my eyes and imagine holding my born baby in the many months to calm and Peeta with a big beaming smile. My tears stop at the image and I slow my breathing. Over a series of minutes I detach my hands from his shirt and wrap them around his neck. Peeta notices my movement and stops stroking my back and places it on the back of my head.

"You okay now baby?" My husband asks me. I nod and open my eyes to look in his bright, dazzling blue eyes.

"Yes. The baby just scared with it's first movements."

"I know but I was worried you hurt yourself. I see you alright in front of me." Peeta replies and he kisses my head. We smile at each other before his hands start slipping away from his body. Peeta turns around and starts to walk away from me.

"Peeta." When he hears me calling his name, Peeta turns back and smiles.

"Yes Katniss?"

"Will you stay with me?" I protest, not wanting him to leave me alone. His embrace is all I want right now.

"Yeah." Peeta replies, coming back to me and taking my hand. "Always."

We share a passionate kiss which I knew we were both reluctant to break away.

I smile remembering the time he told me the exact same words on the train while on the victory tour all those years ago.

He lifts me up bridal style and we walk outside, content with each other.