The Separation

- Anzac Day Tribute -

Peeta is called to fight in the war, leaving her news reporter girlfriend Katniss behind.

Katniss' POV:

He wraps his arms tighter around me, squeezing me at this rate. Tears rapidly flow down his face but no sobs escape. Not just yet.

"Promise me you'll come back." I sob into his shoulder. Tears finding no time to stop streaming down my face. "You have to."

"Yes of course . You'll always be on my mind." He chokes out and buries his head deeper into my neck.

The uniform he's wearing is reflecting my, and his present and future life. A young man with a girlfriend, being sent to war. A young woman with a boyfriend. Being separated.

"Write me letters." I get out, "I'll check my mailbox everyday until I get one." I whisper, holding onto him tighter as I let out another sob.

"I will. You will too. I'll be checking at every opportunity I can get." He answers and a few sobs escape his mouth.

I grasp his head, pulling him closer to me. I'm crying full force now, "I wish you didn't have to go." I whisper.

"I know, I do too." He sobs back.

"Mr Mellark. You're needing to board." A guard says and he lifts his head to briefly look at him.

"I'm so sorry Katniss." He cries, holding my cheeks in his hands. He quickly grabs his other bag before bringing his lips to mine.

I kiss him back with an open mouth. Trying to soak in as much as I can of him until he has to finally go. He's the one to pull away, and he takes a couple steps back.

"I love you." I say. "I'll be waiting for you."

He grasps onto my hand and leads me to the door he must enter. "I love you so much. I'll come back I promise."

I kiss his lips one more time. The tears still streaming down my face. I sniffle, and exhale, trying to calm myself down. "I love you more." And I already know his reply.

'Don't play that game with me' His voice plays in my head.

"Please don't cry, you're too beautiful to cry." He comments and sniffs, trying to blink away more tears.

I grab his cheeks. "Listen to me. You're strong. You've trained for years. You know what you're doing. You damn well know what you're doing and you'll come back. Okay? You can't leave me." I cry.

"I'll always come back for you. I'm not going to leave you." He cries back.

"Mr Mellark." The guard says again and he quickly kisses my lips before I let his hand reluctantly slip out of mine.

I force myself not to launch myself onto him. I don't want him to go. With the risk of him never coming back. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." He chokes out before turning to the guard. "I'm sorry."

"We all can understand how you're feeling." The guard states as they walk even closer to the door.

He looks back to find me, I've sunk to the floor. In absolute tears. He's gone, he's going, and I'm broken. What if he never comes back? I look up to the door to see him looking back at me. I hold up a hand, as if to say a silent goodbye.

He blows me kiss, and I pinch my eyes closed until I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up to find another woman with tear stained cheeks, she helps me up.