The Peaceful Protest

When Marianna arrived at her mother's flower shop, it was already dark. As usual, Mr. Lestrange was there.  

"Good evening, Mar." he said. "Lucrezia, your daughter is home."

"Ah! Marianna. I won't be able to go with the Magistrate to the Banquet House this evening. In my place, I'd like for you to go."

Marianna blushed. But she nodded nonetheless. The Magistrate was one of the most powerful men in Hogsmeade; how could anyone refuse him. A few moments later Marianna was dressed and ready to go out in the cold. The two took a sledge and took off into the night.

At the home of his adopted parents, Doctor James Damien Malfoy watched a column of people walk through the streets. They were carrying red banners. Mary Marsh came up alongside him.

"Aren't they splendid! Brotherhood and Freedom. Don't you think they're splendid, James?"

"Yes. They are." he replied, smiling as much as he could, for it was bitterly cold.

"Brotherhood and Freedom..." She said again.

"Brotherhood and fiddlesticks!" Edmund Marsh said. He had come up behind them.
"Mary, you must come inside, you're frozen through; it isn't fair."

Mary went inside with her husband. Although the protracted telling to had not been directed at him, James went in as well. The protestors had with them a band, playing the Internationale. It was Philip Greengrass who was conductor. 

About a mile away and an hour later, at The Old Banquet House, the Magistrate and Marianna "Mar" Scorpia had just entered. 

"We'd given you up, M'sieur," said the waiter, in a pronounced French accent. 

"This is my niece," Lestrange said. "Your coat, Mar."

Marianna removed her mink coat. 

"Enchante!" said the waiter. "Follow me."

"This place must be terribly expensive, Magistrate Lestrange." Marianna whispered.

"It is. Why not Dominick?" Lestrange replied.

"I can't!" Marianna giggled and blushed.

Then came noise from the streets:

Debout, les damnés de la terre
Debout, les forçats de la faim
La raison tonne en son cratère
C'est l'éruption de la fin
Du passé faisons table rase
Foule esclave, debout, debout
Le monde va changer de base
Nous ne sommes rien, soyons tout
C'est la lutte finale
Groupons-nous, et demain
L'Internationale
Sera le genre humain
.

Those singing were the protestors. 

"No doubt they'll sing in tune after their revolution," Lestrange said in a snide and amused tone. An uproar of cheers came from the elites. 

The music of the protestors echoed down the streets of Hogsmeade. All of the protestors, mostly children whose grandparents had been killed in the war or those who hated the old ways, felt confident enough. Philip certainly did. But a line of Aurors on horseback, concealed in the darkness was also fairly confident. The officer in charge that night had prepared his deputies for this moment.

As the students and Hogsmeade inhabitants who were not protestors took peeks from windows or watched from balconies, the senior ranking Auror nodded. The whole line began to trot forward. As Philip Greengrass stopped dead in his tracks, as did plenty of other protestors. The mounted sorcerers began to canter and then to gallop. There was total chaos among the crowd; many of them bolted and spells were uttered.

"CRUCIO!"

"STUPIFY!"

"EXPELLIARMUS!"

"SECTUMSEMPRA!"