1

Flashback.

It was prom night, last year of middle school. Roseanne hadn't asked anyone out, and it seemed like no one was actually making it a big deal to ask someone to be their partner. Of course, there were a few couples, but everyone else seemed to think of this party as just a graduation party of sorts. They'd wait until the slow music was booed at enough to get the beats going and then they'd all be dancing like crazy. Happy to be done with middle school and on to high school.

Roseanne was popular among her friends, they looked to her as someone who was very sure of herself, of her attitude, and her presence. She was always confident and outgoing. She had also managed to build a reputation for herself as the school's lesbian heart-breaker. Regardless, she still managed to get a lot of attention from the ladies. Even though they knew she could probably just be playing around.

Everyone was having a good time that evening, Roseanne and her gang of friends were standing at the far end of the gym, just looking around, not really caring much to dance yet, when one of them nudged her elbow and said 

"I dare you to walk up to Jennie Kim and ask her to dance with you"

Everyone knew Jennie Kim. She was the school's smartest. She would probably make valedictorian when they actually graduate too. The teachers loved her, the students loved her, even the students' parents loved her.

"Hah! The fact that you think it's a challenge to get her to dance with me, is a wonder in itself" Roseanne boasted.

"Well then prove it"

"Fine" Roseanne said with an air of confidence, as she pushed herself off the wall she was leaning against, adjusted her jacket, straightened the collar proudly, and walked with confidence towards where she knew Jennie Kim was standing. She was standing with her usual bunch of friends, and they were talking to a couple of guys who'd accompanied them here.

Truth was, Roseanne had known of Jennie Kim and had also known she was the prettiest girl in school. And even though Roseanne's success rate of getting the girls she wanted was always great, she knew there was a chance a smart girl like Jennie would reject her.

So even though she would never admit it, or let it show, her insides were turning upside down at the idea of asking Jennie to dance with her, would Jennie say yes, would Jennie realize it was some stupid dare, would she completely humiliate Roseanne. Would Roseanne recover from said humiliation?

Roseanne was two feet away from where Jennie stood and Jennie had just made eye contact with her, when a tall guy appeared out of nowhere and stood before Jennie, interrupting her conversation with the brunette woman next to her.

"Dance with me, Jennie." the guy said.

"Kai. uh Hi." Jennie spoke, looking suddenly agitated.

"Well? You can't turn me down, come on." Kai said.

"I'm not really in the mood to dance, Kai..." Jennie said.

"You didn't even bring a date, let me be your guy." Kai insisted.

"Kai..." Jennie began to protest again.

"She can't dance with you Kai, cause she's here with me." Roseanne spoke and took the last few steps towards them.

Kai looked at the source of the voice and then back at Jennie. Jennie took a moment to understand their play but then adapted quickly, she stepped closer to Roseanne's side and put her arm through Roseanne's and said. 

 "That's right. I'm here with Roseanne." Jennie said.

"I saw you enter alone." Kai said.

"That's creepy of you, Kai." Roseanne said condescendingly, and she could almost feel Jennie lighten up beside her.