4 pm

While the campers are in the store, Emmett and Xavier go by scooter to the river. The water is now violent. It is rising fast!

Emmett thinks of Sophie, her blue-violet eyes, her long blond hair, her smile... Suddenly, he has an idea. He knows how to eliminate his thoughts about Xavier! They are going to have a competition.

Emmett: Say, Sophie, do you like her?
Xavier: She's great, this girl! She's for me!

And he laughs.

Emmett: I like her too. So, let's have a competition.
Xavier: Good idea! Let's go up this tree.

And he points to a huge tree.

Emmett: You're crazy?!
Xavier: Are you afraid? The first one who reaches the top of the tree wins and... has Sophie!

Emmett looks at the tree. It's true, he's a little scared. But he's thinking about the wet blue cap, the two big blue-purple eyes, the long wet red hair...

But again, Xavier suddenly comes to his mind, his piercing grey-green eyes, his brown, messy hair, his always kind off challenging look, the way he lifts one side of his lips when he smiles... Emmett just wishes those thoughts would stop!

Emmett: Okay!

The two boys get off the scooter, go to the tree and start to climb... After about ten minutes, Xavier is already in the middle of the tree. He looks very happy. Emmett is still in the first branches.

He is afraid, the branches are wet, it is difficult... but he does not want to stop.

At this moment, the rain becomes very strong, the wind becomes violent. There is a flash of lightning and boom... badaboum...... boom boom... thunder.

Emmett stops. He knows that it is dangerous to be in a big tree at the edge of the river when there is lightning and thunder. And he doesn't like thunder.

Emmett: Xavier!
He shouts louder, suddenly feeling really stuffy in his chest.
Emmett: Xavier!
Xavier: Yeah!
Emmett: We're stopping! I'm getting off!
Xavier: Are you scared? Then I've won!
Emmett: No, I'm not afraid and you didn't win. But it's dangerous now. Let's do it again tomorrow.

A short time later, Xavier is next to Emmett. The younger one is very tired. His face and hands are red. Of course, he is always in his room and never does any sport!

Xavier: Well, be careful, the branches are wet, so let's go down slowly. I will help you.

The two boys start to descend slowly. It is true, the branches are very wet. There is new lightning and thunder.
Emmett and Xavier are sitting on the first big branch and look at the scooter.

It is almost under the water, which is rising violently.

Xavier: Shit! My scooter! Quick, help me down.
Emmett: No, I can't. It's too dangerous. Look at the water. We are blocked.
Xavier: If I lose my scooter, it's your fault! With your stupid competition!
Emmett: No, it's your fault! You always want to take all the girls!
Xavier: I don't care about your girl! I prefer my scooter.

And Xavier tries to get off the big branch.