Chapter Twenty Two

Little liar

Kie squeezes me tight, pulling away she wipes the tears falling from her eyes as more form

After Sarah and I took the cookies over to the island club we went to Kie's.
We tried to get Rafe to come with us to the bake sale but he only made a disgusted face and shoot his head like a child.
I'm pretty sure he was tired from surfing all day.

We didn't stay long at the bake sale and only dropped the cookies off. Sarah said hi to a few people but that was it. I was worried I might see him.

Kie took us outside to her backyard and we sat down at the fire pit, before I started in with telling her everything. We all ended up crying again and Sarah helped explain when I had to pause to keep from sobbing or throwing up. Kie was as distraught as Sarah was when I told her and she squeezed me for what felt like an hour. She was more baffled about the Rafe part than Sarah was being that she doesn't know him the way Sarah does.
It took a little more explaining and convincing her that he's changed before she nodded and said she understood and that she wasn't mad about it.

I was so concerned that they'd be angry with me for being friends with Rafe after they were there for me all the times he did something horrible to me. But Sarah and Kie both understand. The boys, however will be a different story. One I'm not ready for.

We spent the rest of the night out by the fire pit and some of it in in the hot tub. I almost didn't get in being that I had to put a bathing suit on. But since it's just in Kie's backyard I suppose it's fine. If it were the beach or something there's no way I would feel safe without Rafe..Kie's mom brought out some snacks and sodas to us.

"Are you going to midsummers?" Sarah asks Kie from across the hot tub. Kie rolls her eyes before nodding. "My parents would kick me out if I didn't" she shrugs sipping on her soda. "Pope said he's helping out his dad with catering though so I guess I'll take J with me" she adds. "Will he even behave long enough?" Sarah asks and we all laugh. "I'm assuming you're going with John B?" Kie asks and Sarah nods.
I've never been to midsummers. Sarah and Kie have invited me to go with them every year but I always refuse being I'm a pogue and it's a crowd full of kooks.
At the kook parties it's different because it's all kids our age and some pogues mixed in. But midsummers is all kooks and the parents with their kids. There's more adults than kids. And the adults are worse than the teenagers when it comes to kooks versus pogues. They hate us even more and always degrade us.

"We can go dress shopping at Chapel Hill next week" Sarah offers and Kie nods. I would be excited if I got to go every year like they do, yet they seem so bummed about it. I suppose if forced to go and act your best it takes the fun away. "You too" Sarah nudges my leg and I look up at her confused. I shake my head taking a sip of my soda. I can't go to midsummers, I'm a pogue, I don't have one nice thing to wear or a date like the both of them. I'd just look like a big loser following them around. Plus he might be there.
"No way, I can't go" I tell them. "Why not?" They both ask in unison. Do I need to explain?
"Uhm I don't even have a dress or date and can you imagine all of the stuck up parents that will have something to say if they know I'm a pogue?" "Oh I bet we can find you a date" Kie says, a sneaky smile growing on her face making Sarah grin.
No...way. Rafe wouldn't be caught dead with me as a date. He'd rather rip his fingernails out with pliers one by one then have anyone think he'd settle for a pogue.
Especially one as filthy as I am now..
I shake my head at them, leaning back into the hot tub and sipping on my soda. I'd love to go but I just can't.