Chapter Seventy Nine

All Dressed In Black

Rafe

"Great I'll ask again..who the fuck are you?" My grasp tightens around the door handle. Eying the woman standing in front of me. Somewhere around her fifties. Dark straight hair that stops at her shoulders, too rich in color to be natural at her age. An ugly navy dress that unflatteringly stops at her calves. A white shawl layered over the top and outdated flat, shit colored shoes. Her purse hanging off her arm that's tucked across her stomach. Red fingers nails that match the color painted on her lips.

Dressed prominently but not in the way the people around here do. Undoubtedly not from this area. I don't give two shits that she's a middle aged woman who poses no threat, I still don't know her or why the fuck she's at my doorstep therefore she deserves no politeness.
"I-" She begins to speak but her words fall silent, her eyes moving from mine to somewhere behind me before they slightly widen. Something flickering behind her gaze as if her life has just flashed before her eyes. I turn my attention to whatever the fuck has her falling speechless. Meeting two gray eyes a second later, shifting from the woman then to me. A curve forming between her brows wondering who the woman is. I'd like to fucking know that myself.

Her dark blonde hair is twisted into two long braids that fall over her chest. Dressed in a pair of denim shorts and and a blue tank top that brings out the small cerulean flecks in her eyes. Tension melting away through my veins just looking at her. My expression warming a degree.

"I know your mom" She woman speaks, killing any calmness that Bella brought to my mood. Flaring up into flames that has me contemplating if I should strangle her just for mentioning the sick human being.

"I think you mean knew" I speak through my teeth.
"Rafe.." Bella warns, coming to stand beside me and I clench my jaw. Her tone teetering between worried and curious. I swear to god if this woman causes her to shed one tear, she's dead.

"Right..I heard from a friend" Her tone falters strength, turning lugubrious.
"We were close" She adds.
"You're not winning yourself points here"
Her eyes finally stray from Bella. Good thinking on her end, she was staring a little too long for my liking. Her eyes slightly narrow but something warm fills her features as if she's amused with my vigilance over Bella.

"You look just like her"
"Carful how you insult my fiancé"
"I wasn't..that wasn't an insult. Her and her mother look a lot alike"
"She looks like a meth head?" I question and Bella swats my arm, other wise immune to my comment.

"I know who you are" Bella's soft voice is like a bucket of ice water to my anger. That's fucking news to me, I've never heard her utter a word about friends of her mother. "Why are you here?" She sinks into my side. Feeling her anxiety radiate into my skin. "I heard about her..passing" She responds, choosing the last word carefully as if she's afraid of upsetting her. "Did you take a class on how to be vague?" I question, my jaw growing strained from clenching it.